SBL Backpack Questions

I have some questions from either the SBL Admins, or owners of the Front Pocket Backpack.

First, let me say that I have owned a few SBL products, and currently own one. I like their stuff and I am a fan. I just don’t have as many as I used to because I bought stuff for a certain need (like carrying books) and when needs changed (like no books, but now a computer), sold and bought new stuff.

With that in mind, I am familiar with their products, know what to expect, and I like them. But still, in looking at the front pocket backpack (specifically the medium one) I have some concerns that I would like some honest answers about. I made the case about being a SBL because I am not looking to poke holes, or find problems with the product, but I have one really begin concern. So, here it is.

One: The ride position

The bottom of the backpack looks like it has a nice lumbar pad built in, which is a very nice feature for a leather backpack. Being a backcountry backpacker, and applying the same fit to even my daypacks, I am very well educated on fitting those styles of packs to your body. With that in mind, in all the youtube videos I have seen of this backpack (like Dave wearing it) it looks like the pack is riding about ONE FOOT high on the back!!! The lumbar pad is way up in the middle of the back instead of down where it is supposed to be. This looks like it would be really uncomfortable (besides looking inappropriate), so I am looking to you guys to see what your experience is.

Second: Computer Use

I notice the chart on the website specifies computer size that will fit. I wouldn’t normally think about sticking a laptop in one big old compartment like this, so I wanted to see how you guys do it?

When there is enough stuff to stabilize it, I can see how you can hold a computer in place. What about when you hardly have anything else? Also, do you use some sort of sleeve or protection inside a bag like this?

The reason I ask this is my personal laptop is very important to me. I use for my own business, freelance writing and photography, as well as my own personal use. I take it everywhere. I order to keep it protected, I found the best backpack for it that I could find. It has a stiff back (that is padded) that is larger than the laptop so it is protected from all sides. The laptop sleeve with the stiff back also ends before the bottom of the bag, so it is sort of suspended in the backpack. When you set it on the floor, you are not banging the edge of the laptop of the floor. I really like my current setup, but obviously really like this bag, so I want to see what you laptop users do?

You feedback is very much appreciated.

Take care,
Brian

Last edited:
Now that I watch videos on other backpacks (like the Squared Backpack), it looks like my questions pretty much apply to those as well.

So, I will change the title of my post, and hopefully open up comments to owners of both styles.

Thanks again,
Brian

The straps are adjustable, so you can make it fit where you want it to on your back. Dave is a big guy, so it will fit him differently than most people.
Depending on the size of your laptop and the backpack you buy, the laptop might fit in the backpack inside a protective case.
There are purpose built laptop backpacks designed to isolate and protect laptops - Saddleback backpacks are not that.

I have an older squared model. It does not have a lumbar pad, nor do I see what appears to be a pad in the on line pictures of the front pocket model. Mine also has the older formed straps which are not the most comfortable things going. I am finding that I use mine with a shoulder strap from a briefcase, more like a super sized messenger bag

From my experience, it will be best for extremely short trips and lighter loads, I would not care to load it heavily and carry for an extended hike.

Back