Scare with my youngest

allen456

Sorry everyone for not having the thread on Wednesday. I was at the hospital Wednesday morning from 6:15am to 3:20pm yesterday. Had a scare with my son. It was a very scary scenario, but he is doing great. They still have some further testing to try and come to an answer concerning the problems that occurred. When me and my wife got into his room at 5:45, he was screaming and crying and could not move his left leg. It appeared as if it was just asleep. Then we noticed his left arm and hand was curled and near impossible to move. Few moments later when he was more coherent, we then noticed the left side of his face was not functioning at all. First thought was a stroke, couldn't imagine at age 9 though. We rushed him to the ER which luckily is only a few miles down the road. He stabilized and regained motor skills to the left side. CT scan and blood work came back normal. The doctors spoke with Childrens's Hospital and arranged transport and leaned towards it actually being a seizure with "todd's paralysis" occurring after. Further test and monitoring have been done, but more to come. There is a chance that he had a hypoglycemic seizure due to him being a type 1 diabetic, but no way to confirm this was the cause. Needless to say, a rough couple of days, but we are doing well.

He was able to enjoy some of the cool activities that the Children's Hospital had going on. Also, while he was in the ER, I had walked out to the car and noticed there was some members of the Georgia Tech Baseball and Softball team in the lobby. My son is a huge baseball fan and Georgia Tech fan (trying to convert him back to a Georgia fan, lol). As usual, I had a baseball on me and was able to get the members to sign a ball, he loved it and couldn't wait to add it to his collection at home. Here is a pic of him after decorating his pumpkin at the hospital. Proud of how well the Lil Fella handled all of this.
Thank you for all of the thoughts and prayers.

Hosted on Fotki

Alan, what a relief to hear that your boys doing OK. Praying for an accurate diagnosis, as well as complete healing and recovery. It is pretty cool that you ran into those escalates in the parking lot. Hope your son got a kick out of it.

What a great-looking kid. You must be a proud daddy.
He's in my prayers for successful recovery. I've had scary medical times like that with my kids; it's not any fun.
best to you and yours, sir.
don

Stay strong kid! Hey, that pumpkin has 4 eyes!! what's up with that?
Allen, prayers are with your family. I'm sure your son is in good hands with the medical staff. Please keep us posted of his recovery!

Any time something happens to our kids it's stressful, when it's inexplicable even for a little bit it's even worse. Sorry to hear what happened, doesn't matter how old they are, 8 or 28 it kills us. I am glad he's better and they're on track to diagnosis and a treatment. Smoke and prayers out and up for the little guy and mom & dad.

Dear Allen,
I was shocked when I read what happened to your son - seeing him smiling on this sweet photo with his pumpkin leaves me hopefull that he will recover soon!!
ALL the best for him and your Family
Lukas

Thank you everyone for the prayers and smoke! He is doing well. He even played baseball last nite, a double header. Pitched, was catcher, home run, two triples, two singles, and 6 runs. He is a trooper!

Best damn news!!!

Continued prayers for your son and hour family. Glad to see he is doing ok.

Sorry to hear this Allen. That is a terrifying thing to go through, but he looks like a little fighter. I hope that you receive nothing but positive news from the doctors. Your son and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Back