Scenario #1: What would you do?

Recently a hiker wondered off of a trail he'd be traveling on for no more than 5 miles...he got lost. The trail ran North/South and started at Hwy 84 (Hwy 84 is in Oregon, runs parallel to the Columbia River, and seperates Washington and Oregon. Both the river and Hwy run East/West.). He was heading South. Note: The columbia Gorge is made up of fairly steep cliffs (there is access through them) which border the large columbia River. there are many trails which switch back to the top ot the cliffs and into the Cascade mtn range.

He had a backpack full of all the gear needed to set up camp, a tent, bp stove, pots, food, sleeping bag, etc. Search and rescue looked for him for four days until he was finally spotted by a news media helicopter. He drew their attention to his location by flashing them with a shinned pot (an improvised signal mirror). he was rescued and the news media received all the glory while the SAR teams that had been busting trail for four days received none :>(

He was recognized for his intelligence for using the pot to signal rescue (not a bad idea...better yet he should have had a signal mirror in his emergency gear) and for surviving four days in the wilderness.

My question to you: Knowing what you know now...that it took four days to get rescued. How could you have gotten out sooner? There was snow on the ground but the weather was otherwise mild with intermittent sun. I don't know if he had a map and compass but lets say you don't.

If you intend to answer, try to do it without reading the other responses first. :>) Remember your five essentials.

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

[This message has been edited by Greg Davenport (edited 11 December 1999).]

deleted.

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 12-26-2000).]

I personally believe strongly that just as soon as you realize that you are off the beaten trail and maybe lost to sit down gain your composure and figure it all out then. I personally would have set up camp, he had a tent, food, etc so set up your camp like usual and then the next day decide. I personally would blaze small trails in all directions(N,E,S,W) not going to far from the camp and see if I could find the trail. I pesonally would wait it out until the Search and Rescue team came for me. And if after several days if no one showed I would then try to hike out. A good base camp does several things, it raises moral, gives you a sence of sequrity and can proveide a much larger area to be seen. His tent would have prob been a bright color blue or the like, and even if it wasnt he is a much bigger target to spot. Anyways thats what I would do. Geoff.

Hi Greg...

That's assuming I wanted to get Found and Out in the first place!
Sounds like a vacation to me..
smile.gif

tyle Eric...

------------------
Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical
http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel

This is a throw back to the navigation thread. As I mentioned there, I would always have a general direction I would head if I became 'disoriented' In this case, the trail runs N/S and the river and highway run E/W if I read that correctly.

Hence, if I knew that I was on the north side of the river/highway I would travel generally SOUTH.

If I was on the south side, then I would travel NORTH.

Seeing as how SAR WERE out looking, I would assume he was OVERDUE somewhere and somebody KNEW when he was scheduled to return. He should have also left the area he would be in and most likely routes he was to take. This would have helped the SAR team.

Since he got lost and knew he was lost, he needed to keep conspicuous! I.E. I would stay as much as possible to high ground and to any clearings/open ground. I would carry something to signal with within EASY reach. Signal mirror, flare if I had one, even a smoke bomb!! Possibly a container with tinder and a burning coal along with some firemaking material on the pack or in the pockets for making a QUICK signal fire.

Alternative TWO: If I knew help was on the way after a set time. I would find a CONSPICUOUS high, clear point to set up camp and wait for somebody to show up! Personally, however, I don't like the idea of not trying to help myself out of a situation like this. I rely on only myself as I don't have any quarantee of help arriving WHERE I am, WHEN I need it!

------------------
Plainsman :)
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

Batteries die, get cold soaked, etc. another problem with these devices is line of sight....Don't rely on mechanical/electrical/etc. devices as your only source...always have a back up that you know how to use.

Last year, of the top of my head, I can recall at least two mounntain climbers (one mt hood and one Raineir...I think) that were lost and never found. Both had cell phones.......I like the scene in the movie 7 days and 6 nights where they crash the plane and the female character tries to use her cell phone to call rescue...would have made a short movie if it would have worked :>)))))

------------------
Greg Davenport

deleted.

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 12-26-2000).]

I wanted to wait a little longer (give others time to answer if the wanted to) before posting my final thoughts on this issue.

I have been sending private email responses (Gunner and Plainsman) on their response. Your email is private and thus... I can't send you what I think....Idealy I wanted everyone to answer without reading what others had posted. I think people learn better by working through a problem then by reading what others did.

I'd like to send you an email...if you'd email me...I can send it to the return address...I promise I won't release it and if you want I will delete it after I send you my thoughts.

Does that sound fair?

------------------
Greg Davenport

Pick a good spot on the edge of a clearing and set up camp, get warm, fed and some good sleep. In the AM pack everything and watch the sun, then head either north or south depending on if I went north or south from Hwy 84. That way I'd be heading back towards 84 and some lonely trucker
smile.gif

On second thought why not go deeper into the forrest away from that lonely trucker............

From the info given, I would have checked my watch as soon as I realized that I was lost. Since the trail runs North to South I should know, based on the direction I am facing when the sun goes dowm whether I strayed east or west of the trail. Lets say it is in front of me and thus I strayed west. I would have checked my watch again when I stopped walking after I was lost. Then I would set up camp, eat and sleep (setting the alarm on my watch for before dawn). When the sun came up I would know what way east was and would walk due east for the amount of time that I walked after I realized I was lost to the time I stopped (remember I checked my watch).This should put me somewhere in the right direction somewhere towards the trail. Since I had walked about 5 miles before I got lost and assuming I had no idea where N and South was I would know that it takes me about 15 minutes to walk a mile and 15 times 5 is 75 minutes. I would pick a direction not east or west (man this would be a lot easier with a compass!!) and walk for about 2 hours in that direction hoping to hit highway 84. If no luck then I would reverse directions and repeat. It would be helpful to know whether or not I crossed the river or not while moving north to south. Also I would hope that I knew whether I was traveling north to south to begin with. While traveling I would be attempting to walk as straight lines as possible,signal frequently and keep a sharp look out for Sasquatch..

What would I do? Assuming I was doing poorly enough at navigating that I lost myself off a trail after less than 5 miles, I set up camp and stay. Having set up camp, with all my goodies in my pack, I'd set up signals.
For signals, first, find large, open space. If snow is on the ground, fantastic. I'm lost, but not hurt, so I need help, but not medical assistance. Proper symbol os a large V. Easy to make. Green tree branches on snow would be easiest. Other materials can be found to match the environment. Signal should be as large as I can easily make it, preferably a minimum of 20 feet high. At night, set fires at corners of V, three fires = distress signal.
Set up smoke generator. Large, 'log cabin' type fire frame. pile of green branches on top. cache of bark/easily flammable tinder somewhere dry. When needed, stash tinder in base, light, have extreme amounts of smoke in five minutes or less.

Thus done with signals, I set some snares to feed me, and sit back in my cozy camp. I have all the gear I need. With luck, I was smart enough before I left to let folks know where I was going, so they know where to search. My signals will be easily spotted by planes, and if I see them first, that smoke generator will bring every smokespotter and wildland firecrew in the area to me as fast as I can get it lit.

This plan is based on being in a generally populated area, having the gear I need, and being stupid enough to get lost after a 5 mile hike. Given those things, I'm not moving, except to place my camp near necessities.

This scenario did happen. As mentioned the subject was rescued....There is no right or wrong answer here...the subject was rescued. I am providing what I would do...take it for what it's worth...

It is easy for me to say what I would do...since I know the area he was in and have the skills needed to get out...easily.

the first tool of survival is the 6 P's: Proper Prior Preperation Prevents Poor Performance. If he'd have been prepared with either knowledge or equipment (remember we had this conversation 80/10/10)...he should have been able to effect his own rescue. (Will to survive... is important...but I am going to leave that alone on this post).

My answer comes from a survival instructor and backcountry traveler standpoint. I am not providing the answer that a member of a SAR team might. SAR would tell you to stay put...in most situations, I'd agree (especially, when we're talking about the general population that goes into the backcountry and has no training.... or the person who has a little training but just enough to get in trouble (you know the type...one karate class and they can kick the worlds ass))

The easiest thing for our survivor to have done would be to head due North until he hit the Columbia River and Hwy 84 (it was only 5 miles). Easy to do...by using the constellations (sun and stars), stick and shadow, and/or watch method, to identify a gross direction of travel and eventually get out. (see http://www.ssurvival.com/primnav.htm ) Note: If you want to go into details on cellestials...lets start a thread on it :>).

Before leaving he would put out a ground to air (large) pattern signal with an arrow pointing in the direction he was heading. He would also leave a note saying when he left and what his intentions were. He should mark the trail as he goes.

There are many other things he should be doing but...hey I'd have to write a book to go into all the details of how he'd need to meet his needs during this process.

He could have hiked 5 miles and been out way before the 4 days that it took rescue to find him. shine your pot? or navigate out? Hmmm.....(in this cas...KNOWLEDGE provided the key to getting out sooner...primitive navigation)...EASY ANSWER. Learn these skills and if you need them...use em!!! A fine example of when Knowledge is the Key!

Note: As a lost person you should never travel unless one of the following 3 criteria is met:

1. You have a general idea of where you are and you have the skills to get to whare you want to go
2. Your present location isn't meeting your needs
3. Rescue doesn't seem immenant.

------------------
Greg Davenport

I havent read the others yet but if I had the equipment and new I was lost, I'd make camp near a water source in a/near a clearing.My priorities would be staying alert , rested(after 2 weeks I'm walking somewhere),and preventing injuries would be paramount.I figure the best way to be found is be there when they get there. Not wandering out of the"known to be in this area". Unless I make that 2 week point and havent seen any sign of a search. Then I'd start the wandering in a northern direction cause that seems to be the shortest route.

STOP

Stop- take a deep breath, gather your senses
Think- use your brain, it's best tool
Observe- what equip, tools, etc can help
Plan- make a plan that will help you get out of this mess and stick to unless conditions change.

Piece of cake.

Any new takers? Since it has been a while and I am sure we have new people.... BTTT

------------------
Greg Davenport

I'll take a stab at it since I forgot other members responses.
#1. I don't think I would have been wandering off the trail without a map or compass unless I was very familiar with the area.
#2. Even if you don't have a map or lose/misplace it, studying it beforehand should be a necessity. If forgotten of lost, you can use your memory and "terrain association" to find out where you are or should be. Designating terrain features (hilltop, rock outcropping, lake, road, etc) as reference points will help to navigate you to safety.

[This message has been edited by Sgt. Fred (edited 01-11-2000).]

You never mentioned the time of year, but if it was summer or early fall I know they spend a lot of time in most states watching for forest fires. If he had sat down and created a large fire (safely I might add) and kept adding damp fresh leaves and other matirials to it during the day I am sure he might even have ahd the company of some smoke jumpers.

------------------
Lee

LIfe is too important to be taken seriously. Oscar Wilde

Back