School me on good beer

I've started trying out new beers lately and I'm wondering what are some you like. So far I'm a bit of a snob, and I favor lagers and ales. Nothing with too much of a hops taste.

I'm still very much a newbie though :)

About two years ago I came across the Heffe Weisen style of beer. I think it is more technically a spring and summer beer, but I don't think the beer cares how cold it is outside. I sure don't mind when it comes time to drink it! Paulaner is the brand of HW I like best. An ale, I believe.

Taste is very personal.

I like Sam Adams.

I would recommend finding a store that gets any of the heavy drinks from "The Lost Abbey". Really good!!

I used to be a huge craft beer snob. Kept a tasting journal, chased down "rare" bottles, traded local beers with people on the other side of the country, and all that crazy stuff. I haven't counted in a while, but at one point I had tried well over 1000 different beers. These days I just don't have the time (or spending money :p) to worry about all that anymore... so I just ask for recommendations or buy what piques my interest at the liquor store/restaurant.

My introduction to "good" beer came when I hosted some Belgian exchange students one summer in college, one of whom had a father who worked at Chimay. He'd send a case or two over every couple of weeks. I was on a Belgian kick for a good while after that. If you haven't tried any of the "Trappist" beers, those are always a good place to start, not only because of the history behind them but because there's some variety and for the most part they aren't very hoppy at all. From there, I'd maybe try some of the German beers. Weihenstephaner is always a brewery I like recommending. It's generally very easy to find their stuff, they make a few different styles, and they're all crowd pleasers/easy to drink. I know a few people who attribute their "discovery" of good beer to that brand. I really like their "Vitus"... it's one of the few imports I repeat buy these days.

Most of the Belgian and German styles tend to be on the malty/yeasty side rather than the hoppy side... flavors of "dark" fruits (cherries, etc), bananas, sometimes a little bit of spice to it that are usually pretty unique to the yeasts they use. Might be right up your alley if you like lagers/ales and want something different. The European beers are always a good place to start in general because they tend not to add stuff to flavor their beer... Germany even has a law that restricts them to only using water, malt, and hops. If you're tasting bananas, it's the result of fermentation, not because they dumped bananas in there. I think that is just neat and really gives you an idea of the range of flavors capable by using the same ingredients. If you're wanting to "learn," I think it's easier to learn how to pick out flavors and what causes them with European beers... and I think being able to describe beers beyond style is important in being able to ask for/give recommendations.

From there, I'd just start trying whatever you find that sounds interesting. Figure out what you like, explore that style, but don't be afraid to branch out. Personally, I try not to buy beers I've tried already unless I really, really like them. There's just too much other stuff out there waiting to be tried. Some liquor stores do a "pick six" where you can create a six pack of whatever they have. They don't always put the best stuff there, and they can be pricier than just getting regular six packs, but it's a good place to start. Once you start getting into American microbreweries in general though, things just start getting crazy these days. There are just so many of them popping up, and they produce all sorts of crazy stuff. That's why I'd probably avoid them at first and "tour" Europe first if you want to "learn" about beer.

When you start trying more American microbrews, I'd probably try to start local... I don't know what the craft beer scene is like in Arizona, but in Chicago, there are enough different breweries here to keep someone busy for a long, long time. Get a couple of friends together and do a mini tasting. A lot of great beers only come in "bombers" (the tall bottles), so in college, my friends and I would toss in $10-20 each, get a bunch of beers, and play cards or whatever while drinking them. It's a good way to try a lot of different beers... and if you don't like one, you're not dumping a $12 bottle down the drain. We'd usually either pick a style or pick a region... one week we'd do Porters, the next we'd do East or West coast beers, another we'd do German beers, etc. While the American craft breweries make all sorts of different stuff in all sorts of places so it can make things jumbled, you can often figure out where a beer comes from based on taste. I find that really neat.

These days, my "favorite" style seems to change on about every 6-12 months, but I try to be an equal opportunity beer drinker in general and drink a little of everything. Only thing I really avoid are American "Wheat Beers"/wits/etc as I tend to find them a bit sweet. I also try and avoid beers "brewed with (insert flavor)" things, as they tend to be overpowering. Though, I've had some ridiculously interesting flavored beers. Right now I'm in a bit of a Stouts and Porters phase, or Sours if I come across them. I've been limiting my carb intake, so I'm generally only drinking a beer or two a week max... so I like something I can sip on. I am one of those people like likes IPAs quite a bit. IPAs can get crazy... a lot of people (and breweries) think IPAs absolutely must smack you in the face with bitterness. Hoppy doesn't have to mean bitter though... different types hops added at different levels of freshness added at different times give different tastes. Some hops can give a beer more of a floral or even honey taste.

I thought I didn't like IPAs for a long time and avoided them like the plague until I accidentally ordered one and loved it. It might just be an acquired taste thing, but I think it's the variety and complexity that I like about them these days. My point is... don't avoid them completely because you had one or even a few bad experiences with hoppy beers. You might find one (or a dozen) that you love. I still find plenty that I hate. Some of my staying favorite IPAs/beers in general, which tend to be fairly hard to get these days, are Bell's Hop Slam and 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust. I generally stock up on those every year when they're released because I like them and they tend to be good beer trade currency. Both are somewhat local to the Midwest and are hard enough to come by out here, so I'm not sure you'll be able to find them out there... so if you're interested in giving "hoppy" beers another shot, I can send you a few bottles, perhaps with some other local stuff.

Final recommendations, if you see any beer festivals in your area, I'd get a group of friends together and go for sure. I try to go to at least 1-2 every year around here, but there are probably close to a dozen. They're always a good place to try lots of new beers and they tend to be a lot of fun. Also, if you've got a smart phone, check out "Untappd." Kind of like Twitter/Foursquare for beer. I don't like those sites, but I like it. It's a nice place to keep track of/rate beers, but it's also fun to check out what your friends have been drinking. Good place to find recommendations, if you trust your friends' tastes. If you download it, feel free to add me on there under the username "weebus."

Whelp... now I want a beer.

Grolsch does export and there swing top bottles also look good.
It is nice, clear and has a good bitter IMHO
comp3.jpg

And there'se a trick where it seems that you open the swing top with just one finger

Special Oktoberfest beers are good as well. They are like the normal beers with a plus. A bit more taste and a bit more alcohol.

Carlsberg Elephant Malt Liquor! Smooth and strong. If you are planning on drinking more than one? Be safe and let someone who didn't drink any do the driving!;)

I used to live near the Kemper brewery when they were small and they made a good variety of beers.
Try Thomas Kemper Weizen Berry.
It has a nice Raspberry aftertaste.
970.jpg

Awesome everyone! I'll keep an eye out on everything you've suggested.

Mike, that's an amazing essay :D Give me some time to process that haha.

A few years ago a buddy of mine ran into some Grolsch on sale at a New Hampshire discount beer outlet.There were four nearly gallon sized flip-top jugs to a case and the price was ten dollars.So my buddy bought one case ,thinking he would have to try it out(he allready knew he liked Grolsch beer ,he said he wanted to be sure it was'nt stale or old or something)He brought a jug over to my place and we tried it .When we poured it into a glass it formed one of the nicest chunky heads I have seen on any beer.The taste was the familiar Grolsch excellence only better.We both agreed after our first taste that it was undoubtedly the best lager beer we had ever drank.Better than regular Grolsch in small bottles.I asked my buddy if there was any more at the beer outlet and he said there was a whole pallet of it left when he left the store (not more than an hour previous) We jumped in his truck and raced back to New Hampshire with cash in our pockets thinking to stock up on at least ten cases of this great beer at such a great price.We walked over to the discount section only to see a lonely ,empty pallet sitting there.I asked the clerk if they had any more,to which she replied "I don't think so ,people were fighting over it,its all gone"
We still talk about this beer experience from time to time.

If you like lagers, try Longboard Lager from Kona Brewing Co., they are common now on the west coast at least. Then, try Fire Rock pale ale from the same company- a bit hoppier but not in your face, just crisp. A good beer for drinking all night and not getting too loaded, like some IPAs would do.
If you like Fire Rock, try Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Mirror Pond Pale Ale from Deschutes Brewing Company. In fact, I really like the entire Deschutes lineup- the Obsidian stout is a perennial favorite of mine- not too hoppy, but super dark and malty. Great for mid-winter. Black Rock Porter is really good from them, too.
On tap at a lot of places here is Mac and Jack's African Amber- another good beer for drinking pitchers of with friends. It goes down smooth but has a lot of character.
IPAs are my favorites now, and I think what got me into them was Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Company. It's not an IPA per se, but is a little on the hoppy side and very tasty. As Mike says above, IPA doesn't have to be super bitter to be great, and I think that Oakshire Brewing company's Watershed IPA is a good example of a very balanced and scrumptious middle of the road IPA. You might find some of the "red" IPA beers pretty accessible too, and Deschutes Brewing puts out a great one.
Lagunitas Brewing company makes some great stuff, Lil' Sumpin' Ale being a prime example.
But, I'm steering you into hopsville. Um, how about Sam Adams Boston Lager? That's a good gateway craft beer. Also, George Killian's Irish Red can be quite good if you're in the mood for a beer that doesn't grab your attention.
On a very hot day when working hard, I've found that almost nothing beats an ICE COLD Jamaican style beer, such as Red Stripe- although Sessions is my personal favorite in this category. IDK why, but can be nearly transcendental.
This being the beginning of the holiday season though, there's some good stuff on the shelves with lots of malty flavors. Jubel Ale from Deschutes is quite good (I'm drinking one now) as are Ninkasi's Sleigh'r Ale and Full Sail Brewing Company's Wassail Ale. These beers tend to have lots of toasty flavors with varying amounts of hops, and always lots of rich malt backbone. Drinking too many will put you to sleep if anything. My favorite in this category, although it's rare in my area now, is Pyramid Brewing Company's Snow Cap Ale. Delicious.
That's what I've got right now off the top of my head. Enjoy your explorations in the wonderful world of beer, my friend! Cheers!

Brewing your own is alot of fun. Julius Echter is a great heffeweis, Old rasputin is awesome easy to find russian imperial stout. Dales Pale ale is delicious.
One thing to remember about beer, it gets better and better until it peaks and then gets worse and worse, so sometimes giving a beer another try is worth a shot later in the year , etc.
Keep in mind this word: Reinheitsgebot. it is the german purity law and beers that abide by this are where you can hone your tastebuds

A lot of great recommendations so far, and a few added to my own list :)

Salem it's funny you mentioned Stone Arrogant Bastard as being the beer that turned you on to IPAs. I think that exact beer was one of the ones that scared me off of anything hoppy for a long time because it was so un-apologetically so (I've since warmed up to it and love most of their stuff). I think they somewhat epitomize West Coast style beer though... very in-your-face with their flavor. Tends to be very polarizing... while I love most of their beer, the ones I've disliked, I've hated. I've really enjoyed most of their "Enjoy By" series and try and pick them up when I see them. I usually keep a few bottles of their "Go To IPA" in my fridge as well... really nice, easy to drink IPA. Even had a grapefruit IPA recently (one of the Stochasticity Project) that was pretty darn delicious, and I rarely like "flavored" beers. Any I dislike, I'll usually power through... but I actually dumped one down the drain recently. I'll admit, it just had a really, really neat looking bottle, so I bought it without looking at what it was beyond being from Stone. Ended up being some sort of Chipotle and/or Cayenne IPA which assaulted my tastebuds from like 8 different directions. I tried... but I couldn't even power through it. It was just too much. Couldn't find anyone who could... so down it went :(.

Also, I completely agree about Red Stripe. Something about it after a long, hot day at work is just divine. Makes you wonder what they're putting in there :p

Brewing your own can be a lot of fun, but I never got too into it. I have enough hobbies keeping me busy already, so I just leave it to the professionals :D

Back