school me on the new Dozier Arrow folder please

KYJX1bI.jpg

AmosPaul,

The Stop pin for the Dozier Arrow is hidden in the blade tang near the back spine.
Sorry you don't like the knife. Your choice. The handle flex was noticed. It does not cause the lock to fail under normal (and even hard) circumstances. (I'm sure someone will try to break the lock)
It was felt that the lightness and lean design was the more important attribute.
Bob and I have a similar philosophy on knives; simple, minimalist, purpose driven. The need was for a lightweight (G-10) pocket carry knife with emphasis on cutting (D2). I think Bob did well.

MazimIsayev,

Thanks for the kind words. You nailed our thinking perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

I was literally looking over the weekend for a thin, lightweight G-10 handled knife without full liners and a 3.5-.375" blade. I have a Kershaw Piston and it is a great knife, but I dislike that using the Speedsafe assisted opening is my only choice with that blade (since it doesn't have a detent hole drilled).

I didn't see this one on any of the dealer sites I frequent, but I'm glad I found this thread. This is exactly what I wanted. It's just icing on the cake that it comes from Ontario (I love my Rat and Utilitac folders). You guys are quickly becoming one of my all time favorite makers.

I was literally looking over the weekend for a thin, lightweight G-10 handled knife without full liners and a 3.5-.375" blade. I have a Kershaw Piston and it is a great knife, but I dislike that using the Speedsafe assisted opening is my only choice with that blade (since it doesn't have a detent hole drilled).

I didn't see this one on any of the dealer sites I frequent, but I'm glad I found this thread. This is exactly what I wanted. It's just icing on the cake that it comes from Ontario (I love my Rat and Utilitac folders). You guys are quickly becoming one of my all time favorite makers.

That is exactly who we want to be. Thanks Max.

I got one on Thursday. Great knife. The interior stop pin is perfect and the handles only flex if you squeeze real hard. Not a problem for me. I really like the classy touches of the recessed pocket clip and the engraved arrow, all for $45 shipping included.

I like it better than the old KBar Thorn, which I never bought due to the ergonomics. This is a more useable knife at 1/2 the price, though still D2.

It is also the one of the few dagger style folders where the top edge is fully covered by the scales. You could make it double edged if you wanted.

I tried real hard to find some picky fit/finish problems but couldn't :). I needed a day to get used to the thumb stud, it opens as fast as a flipper for me now.

My first Ontario, other than Queens :). I'm impressed.

Good job Tooj and OKC. Will you guys sharpen the top edge for a fee?

The OKC Dozier Arrow: I dig it... :thumbup:

3.6" stonewashed hollow ground D2 blade, solid lock-up with zero play, good fit & finish, smooth action with an excellent detent, super light weight at 2.8oz. There is a bit o' flex to the linerless G-10 scales, which is to be expected, but it has no impact on the nested liner lock bar where it meets the blade tang (ie. no lock slip.)

It's a nice compact and clean-lined package--kinda reminds me of an OTF auto. No blade spine protrudes from the handle when folded, just a hair of the lock tab shows, but for some reason Ontario chose to bevel the inner edge of the handle scales on this side. This leaves just enough room for the meat of your thumb tip to touch the spine. Perhaps this was done to discourage sharpening the swedge? I don't think that a double-edge on a light duty folder like the Arrow is a good idea anyway, but that's just my opinion.

A few nit-picking niggles: the G-10 is the same pocket-shredding texture as may be found on a Cold Steel folder, I find the pocket clip is oversized (but still comfortable and functional--I like that they stonewashed it to match the blade,) and the arrow on the handle is a little cheesy. My particular specimen has a slight blem on the secondary bevel near the tang, but that's being super-picky.

Here's a pic for size comparison:

arrow02_zpsbscigzbl.jpg

Spyderco Para-Military 2, OKC Dozier Arrow, CRK Large Sebenza 21 Insingo

Overall, an excellent piece from Bob Dozier and the good folks at OKC! If you like dagger grind folders, this is a fantastic buy. The Arrow is the knife I wanted my LionSteel Daghetta to be but wasn't (at twice the price.)

Anyway, hope this helps some who may be on the fence about picking one up... :)

-Brett

Well the OKC guys have been on-line, but have not answered my question "Will you guys sharpen the top edge for a fee?"

I too noticed the bevel and wondered why, maybe they can tell us the reason for that design element?

"Inquiring minds want to know" :)

I like the arrow, just not to fond of the front logo "OKC/Bob Dozier First Production Run".

Well the OKC guys have been on-line, but have not answered my question "Will you guys sharpen the top edge for a fee?"

Oops, sorry about that. I haven't checked with anyone, but I don't think that's something we would do. If someone else did that, it'd be none of our business, but we are unlikely to send a folding knife out the door with a dagger shape and a sharpened top edge. I don't know that it would necessarily set off any legal flags in here New York State, but it might be pushing our luck.

Brownshoe,

There are all sorts of legal ramifications if we sharpened the top swedge. (Especially in Cal. and Mass.) On a more practical note: I don't think a double edged folding blade is a very good idea. Even in the folded position, the top sharpened edge is too close to the opening and could reach out and S & D the user. However, once you buy the knife, you can do anything you want to it.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Comapny

Thanks for the response, one does not have to sharpen the whole top edge, but I understand, I forgot you guys are in NY :)

What is reason for the bevel on the inner edge of the handle scales...decoration or better grip?

Last edited:
Benchmade 530 is a classic. It's been around for at least 15 years, starting out as a liner lock. Right now I believe you can get two different blade styles and three different handle materials. The Ontario is different, bigger, much cheaper and no Axis lock, but still fast and smooth :)

Not from what I've read. Maybe we're confusing different knives. I've read hundreds of reviews on the 530 and can count on one hand the number of positive responses. The 531, on the other hand, is what the majority say the 530 should have been out the door. Again, maybe I'm confusing the models.

Mine has been terrific for one year. Now, blade scrapes liner when closed, yet the is zero blade play. Any suggestions?

Back