Schrade 1982 NKCA Stag Trapper Question

I recently purchased a Schrade 1982 NKCA Stag Trapper. Unlike many that I have seem the bolster is stamped 281L. I was wondering what this could mean. As I haven't seen any with a letter stamped. Any info would be great.

s-l1600%203_zpskywij1e9.jpg

The 2811 on the bolster is a serial number. It tells you there were at least that many made. There might have been a run of 3000 or 5000.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. To me the last number really looks like an L maybe the bolster got scratched and made the 1 look like an L not sure.

There was a run of 10,000 that year and the original price was $24.50. I have #3244. Nice sambar handle.

The numbers were usually scribed onto the bolsters when the knives were finished using a hand operated pantograph. They were cut using a diamond tipped point. There were brass number that were placed in the machine. These had a groove through them that matched their shape. You traced the groove with a stylus and this was transferred in much smaller form to the bolster. The problem was that sometimes the operator would slip, oftentimes at the end because you're pressing down. This slip would also transfer to the bolster as a scratch, which is probably what you have there. If it was really bad the bolster would have to be re-polished and the etch done over.

Eric

Thanks for your response. To me the last number really looks like an L maybe the bolster got scratched and made the 1 look like an L not sure.
I recently picked up one of these with 055L stamped on the bolster. This is definitely an L on the end so it appears there there was an unknown quantity produced like this. I have been searching the web for any information on this and found this thread, does anyone know anything about this stamp variation?

Thanks for that information! Do you think the numbering on the member knives were part of the 10,000 knives produced for this series?

Thanks for that information! Do you think the numbering on the member knives were part of the 10,000 knives produced for this series?
Sorry, I really don't know that for sure. My speculation would be that they were.

Back