Schrade Avatar

I am particularly interested in this two-blade knife. It's quite pretty, too.

I gather it is quite a recent model. What are its origins and who is its designer? Is it selling well?

Geez, I can't believe that since the 23rd of June, no one has replied to your post. Which brings up the question: Does anyone from Schrade actually visit and read through the threads in this forum anymore?

Anyway, I've seen the 2 blade model, but I can only comment on the single blade Avatar lockback. While it's not the prettiest looking lockback out there, I found it to be a rugged little folder and not bad at all for the money. I picked one up when they were being sold at a major retail store. I was told by the department manager at one the local stores that they did not sell too well, and it was his opinion that the looks of the knife alone was a turnoff. Personally, I agree in that it was sort of an ugly duckling kind of knife, but it was okay. I wish I had the opportunity to handle a plain edge version of it.

I've always thought that Schrade's traditional slipjoint folders were some of the best buys in pocketknives, however, their attempts at modern linerlock-type folders have disappointed me. First, the Cliphanger, then the Beast folder and the Lake & Walker 2. What killed it for me where their whimpy linerlocks and noticable bladeplay. I was one who looked forward to the Lake & Walker knife. Not being able to afford the BG-42 version, I picked up the standard L&W2 and was disappointed yet again with the substantial amount of blade wobble, the blade rubbing against the handle frame and the uncomfortable location of the safety switch.

Now they've got some new folders out like the X-Timer, Badger and the Silhouette. While the action on the new Silhouette is certainly smooth, it too has a rather thin linerlock and it's pocketclip bends out of shape easily. Some of the blades are coated in a black finish which in my opinion, makes them look aweful. I recently had the chance to look through several new Schrades at a local Sporting Goods store and was sadly disappointed at how bad the fit and finish of some of these knives were. On several X-Timer lockbacks and Silhouette folders, the anodizing on the handles appeared to be so thin that right out of the box, the knives appeared to have been used. The black blade coatings on the blades and pivot screws looked unevenly applied and made the knives look worn. I don't know about you, but when I buy a brand new knife, I don't expect it to look used right out of the box. Sadly, many knives had noticable bladewobble as well.

It's too bad, but all I can say is stick with Schrade's Old Timer and Uncle Henry slipjoints and fixed blades. You can't go wrong with them. As far as their modern stuff, well....I'd look elsewhere.

The avatar line has been around a couple of years the AV-22 is a new entry in the line. I do not know the designer however it is one of the new lines Schrade is introducing to compete with some of the other companies. I am including a picture of the AV-22 model with the black stainless blades this model has one serrated blade and one regular the knife is a double liner lock and opens with a thumbhole mech, the handles have non slip inserts. It is pretty and functions well I just prefer the older style knives. LT

Okay, I'm game.

Schrade continues to pursue the title of tactical rip-off company. They take designs primarily from Spyderco, make them extremely ugly and poorly execute the manufacture and sell them to who knows who. :mad:

Real bottom feeders in the tactical market. They should spend the money to do real R&D.

Back