Schrade Cigar Box editions

I just picked up a nice bone handle edition of the 897UH gift packed in a mini cigar box. It is a nice little stockman pattern and is a fancier version of the commonly seen 897 Uncle Henry. This design/pattern is my favorite Stockman pattern knife of any brand and it is neat to have a nicer version as well. I got mine at Galyans, but these are offered in several different patterns (trapper, peanut, muskrat) at Smoky Mountain Knifeworks. Very reasonably priced and even have a serial number stamped in one of the bolsters. Very smooth blade action and springs are "just right".

Easyrider, No steel type marked on the blade tang. My standard Uncle Henry model uses Schrade+ stainless steel. On the Smoky Mtn. website it says:

Polished stainless steel blades with Schrade Walden tang stamp
·Genuine bone stag handle
·Brass pins and liners
·Polished, threaded nickel silver bolsters and Schrade Walden era shields

If you like any of these patterns I think you would enjoy having one of these.

Those are very nice looking knives. It's good to see old time traditionals like those cigar box knives back on the market.

In answer to your wish Don L I am attaching a picture of a Schrade Walden Stockman in jigged bone. The tang has Schrade Walden NY USA on it this means it was made prior to 1960 ( approx ) but after 1958 Schrade had moved to Ellenville but stopped producing bone handles in 1960 ( actually when they ran out of the old stock from Walden ( which has been mentioned before.) It has the original carbon blades and is in new old stock condition. Unused even though 45 years old. The knives made by Schrade today are in stainless. However they are beautiful either the cigar box or classic series are great knives in real jigged bone ( which due to demand they are making again ). The prices on these are around 40 dollars perhapes less on specials. They have also issued ( I do not believe in bone ) a special edition with the old tang to commemorate there 100 th anniversary. However it is in stainless and etched to show it is a new commerative. Any of these are great. The genuine old ones in new condition bring over 100. The price on this one is 125 and frankly damn hard to come by ( NEW ) at any price. Having been on several forum threads with you I thought I would let you know that I have it as well as several other models ( even in pearl ) from this vintage in this condition. Again the present models are beautiful and I am fairly sure that when my old ones are gone I will not be able to replace them however I have all these models in my permanent collection and these are doubles. I just thought I would mention it after reading your post. I could not email you through the forum however my email is lt632ret@frontiernet.net ( the first character is a small L not the numeral one. Good hunting LT

Thak you very much LT, I really like the tight jigging on those handles.

I do have a few Schrades, like a dozen or so, most are stockmans though only one is carbon steel and very much worn out (it was a user from my father in law who used to over sharpen it). I´ve had a couple of OT middlemans in the past, my first was some time in the 60´s, gave them away and never replaced them, I do find those around here occasionally.

One of this days I may get one of the bone handled stockmans, I have an acquaintance who has relatives in New England and visits them about once year, they have gotten things for me before. However I do not want to spend much on knives since I am more like an accumulator rather than a collector.

Back