Schrade-Jernigan

Yes Ken,

I have been very fortunate to be able to add some of these highly regarded knives into my collection. I have added just about all of the standard factory produced knives already, therefore I have been seeking out the more elusive pieces such as this Schrade-Jernigan piece. I know there was doubt as to whether this knife existed, but, here is the proof. Mr. Jernigan was a fantastic person to work with and I am anxiously awaiting a document, that he is writing for me, that spells out the history of this knife from the start of this piece until the closing of Imperial Schrade. He was very fortunate to have gotten this piece back before the auction and has held it in his family since.

Tom

Incredible Tom.

Wonderful to see actual photo evidence.

Thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind me asking what's stamped on the tang?

All we need to find now, is a "Viper-Black Ice SQ111" Polycarbonate.
No one has ever come up with any information, regarding this Q3 Schrade knife.

medium

Last edited:
I have confirmed that the Schrade Factory did in fact make two Schrade Prototypes of the Schrade-Jernigan knife. They used the original knife, pictured above, to get their measurements and did make 2 Prototypes that were displayed at Shot Show 2004. I have it on good authority that the 2 Factory Prototypes were not very good imitations......Now the question is...Where are they. The one pictured above is the Original Schrade-Jernigan, custom made by Mr. Steve Jernigan himself.

Tom

What's apparent is that the one you have is the one in the brochure. Scale markings match. As for the protos inquiring minds...... Were you ever able to get your hands on an original brochure? I know you posted pics before but not sure if those where just copies. That would be a killer display framed with the knife.

2u43tom.jpg
15nafb6.jpg

To add this is one of the more exciting developments being shared in this forum in the last few years.

Thanks again Tom

Last edited:
I do have an Original Brochure along with the other items in the picture. I also have the original, professional photograph taken for Marketing purposes, aproximately 20" x 20" and a signed letter from Steve Jernigan that outlines the evolution of the knife up until the closing of Schrade.

I am going to have to get some professional assistance in order to get these things properly displayed ...lol

Tom

I am amassed at the lack of interest, Scharade Collectors show towards Schrade's collaboration knives. Here we have the only Schrade Jernigan, with 228 views - and "Schrade USA Uncle Henry with no Edge or Bevel" with 254 views over the same time frame.

Schrade D'holder, Schrade Lake & Walker, and even Schrade's Loveless knive - generate little interest. www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/app.php/gallery/image/7280/medium

Last edited:
Ken,

I agree. I truly expected a lot more chatter about this knife since Schrade went through the whole process of printing the Spec Sheets, having the Nylon Zipper pouches made and all of the marketing that was done on this particular knife.

This is truly a Holy Grail knife and the only one in existence made by Steve Jernigan himself and Steve has been gracious enough to provide me with a letter of the History of the knife, the Professional Photo and even the Wooden Sign he had made to accompany the knife.

It doesn't change my opinion of the knife or other Schrade collectors, I know what I have and the amount of time I have spent to gather this knife along with my many other Schrade Knives, not to mention the expense....LOL

Tom

Well done Tom, Albert and Henry would no doubt be proud of your genuine efforts to preserve 'their' Schrade history....I can't think of anyone more worthy to be the current custodian of that knife and many other Schrade artefacts....I'm glad some of my beloved Schrade 'babies' are in your care/custodianship.....onward and upward with your ""Schrade ""quest mate, all the best from Oz....Hoo Roo

Larry,

I have been very fortunate to come in contact with some very fine folks, Including yourself, that have gone beyond in helping me preserve The Schrade History. The Shrade History is more to me than just the great knives they manufactured....it's my family History as well. My family members worked at Schrade from when I can remember as a young man, 40+ years ago, right up until they closed their doors. We had family that worked on the piece work lines, press room, shipping, Quality Control, Custom Shop, Front Office and so on. I added up what I thought was the number of years total service my family had at Schrade and I came up with approx 250 years and after talking with family members at a reunion two weeks ago, it appears I am short quite a few years.

Now I have made it my quest to get the years of service and names compiled ....for Historic reasons.

Tom

Awesome a response from Larry. Which I mean with the utmost sincerity. Again Tom congratulations to you and I look forward to many further updates on your quest.

I think there are a lot fewer collectors who are aware of these collaboration knives than are familiar with the general mass produced Schrade line. Most people haven't got a
clue as to their rarity or what they represent, since there's very little info out there to clue them in. Speaking for myself and I'm sure for a lot of other people, I am just amazed to see one of these pieces in the flesh so to speak. Never expected, after all this time, to have one pop up like this. That's the find of a lifetime Tom!

Eric

The passing of an Artist!

I was at Shot Show this past week and was talking with the folks at Bear & Son and they informed me that Steve Jernigan passed in Oct 2019. He was an Artist and accomplished custom knife maker. I cherish the time I spent with him at Blade Show and also that he would entrust me with the Jernigan/Schrade Collaboration Knife he made. Unfortunately, Schrade did not get the collaboration off to manufacturing before they went bankrupt.

Steve did make several knives for Bear & Son that they did reproduce. I got one last year and was picking up the second version at Shot Show this year. Bear & Son informed me that they have one more that Steve designed for them that will be out at a later date. I already have my name on the list for it.

Steve will be sorely missed and I hope his family is at peace. I will never forget the limited time that I was able to spend with such a kind, considerate Gentleman.

Rest in Peace my friend!
crying.gif

Respectfully,

Tom

Back