Schrade MOP. Lt? Anyone? can help?

textoothpk

BANNED
A guy I have sold a few knives to called from Texas yesterday, wondering about a knife. The tang stamping Schrade-Walden, the number SS700, which makes it a melon tester or sausage knife. He insists that the handle is real Mother of Pearl. The handle has printed on it, "Snowboy" which does kinda sound like a vegatable company. I hate to think anyone would print anything on real pearl.

I found a photo of this knife in my only good Schrade reference, Dick Sargent's guide to Pocket knives. The brief description calls this 'Marine Pearl'.

My question: Is 'Marine Pearl' actually genuine MOP, or is it a faux pearl? We've discussed pearl here several times, but I am still not clear on what year Schrade quit using it. Age of the knife: As the Schrade-Waldens with only three numbers were made between about 1946 to 1973, is there any way to narrow down the year this one was made?

Thanks!

Phil

Phil,

If you don't get any info here try Debbie at Schrade.
If we keep asking her ?'s maybe she'll get someone to watch the boards and help her out.

Hows the hunting going? Lots of shots heard in my backyard this week. Either theres a lot of deer or they are real bad shots! Im putting an orange scarf on my lab when we go walking.

Talk at ya soon
Larry

Larry and Sarge, why can't you ask me during successful years? Are you trying to embarrass me here? Nothing yet. Another week of firearm deer, then it's back to bow, until the end of December. Sarge, send a pic if you've got one yet. Larry, would you and your son enjoy another batch of knife mags?

I'm still looking for the info on that Scharde Walden pearl or cell (remember the test our LT gave us?) tester knife.

Phil

Phil,
You got me to signup for Knife World with your last shipments, which I am now receiving. Sure, we would love a couple of the mags you got lying around.
My son loves the fixed larger blades. I think he may be going to the sword side like my brother. If you like swords check this one out. I was looking for this particular one for a while. I'll have to hit the lottery to get one. Specially the "extra" one

http://albionarmorers.com/Discerner/Discerner.html

Thanks
Larry

Marine pearl is a trade name for simulated pearl in celluloid. Schrade did not make this style of knife in real pearl. They certainly would not have been made in real pearl as an advertiser. ( due to the cost factor ) They stopped using real pearl and celluloid around the same time around 1960 or until the old stock was used up.

Marine pearl is a pearl imitation in cell. Just like staglon and sawcut delrin are a form of plastic. Just like Coca Cola is a brand name for what is basicly cola. They are extremely difficult for some people to tell the difference if you remember the pearl, cell contest that was an earlier thread on this forum. Some of the other interesting Schrade names were K horn which in older knives was cell,then in newer knives they went to a similar looking material only in plastic and still called it K horn. They also had Wonda Wood which was an imitation wood. as well as some other similar examples. Some cell was bought under the brand name pyralin. It goes like this Pyralin was a brand name for a celluloid then Schrade makes a handle out of it and it becomes marine pearl ( there name for it) confused yet.

Most of the later models of this knife were in a white delrin type plastic. I am attaching a pic of a small gentlemans knife with advertisment over marine pearl as well as a knife in old cell K horn and the newer plastic K horn.

Always remember nothing is impossible with Schrade they could have done anything but even if they did make a few high end knives in real pearl they would never have made it an advertiser give away. Now Japan also produced a similar knife and they did make some in real pearl however again I never heard of one used as an advertiser.

I know Debbie fairly well and she usually has her hands quite full which is one of the reasons I make whatever attempt I can to come up with some answers. If I can ever be of assistance please free to contact me at lt632ret@frontiernet.net . I am not the formost authority on Schrades however my book The Collectors Guide To Switchblade Knives ( PALADIN PRESS ) does contain several chapters on various aspects of this company and subject. I also have been collecting them for 50 years. Besides I am an old guy who likes and sometimes has the time to mess around with this subject while some younger people have to worry about making a living. LT

LT, I thank you. As I suspected, but my friend was so sure it was real pearl. You know, a lot of times people really believe what they want to believe.

You're a real help around here, LT and we all appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Phil

Another one of my really snappy salutes to you, Lt. You do keep this place active and interesting.

Strawberry

The guy bought the knife I mentioned to start this thread with. He just wouldn't believe me when I told him that it was not, no way, real pearl, and using the logic that no one would print a veggie and fruit dealers name on real MOP and then give it away. "It's Pearl", he insisted, and paid $110.00 for it. Obviously, he shoulda been here for our pearl quiz a while back.

I've sold this guy a lot of knives over the past couple of years, and I really do try not to take advantage of him. But talk about sitting ducks!

Excuse me, I have to go see if anyone on ebay is selling any of those 'Real Pearl' fruit knives....

As always, LT, I do thank you for your help.

Phil
(still no deer)

Schrade is a strange duck I would never rule anything out completely but I have seen 1000 of this particular model knife and never seen one that was not cell ( cell is also how it is listed). The final proof would have to be the knife itself. If it had someones name or was personalized I would be more inclined to think it might have been something special for a super buyer like a ompany that bought 100,000 of these and made one in pearl for the president. Which they sometimes did. Schrade and Channel Master TV antennaes were both in Ellenville ( in fact Schrade is now in the old Channel Master factory). They all knew each other. While most of there knives were gold wash they did make some special solid gold models for the VIPs at Channel Master. So they do exist that is the kind of thing that would have had to have happened for your friends knife to be pearl. Attached is a pic of a Schrade Cut perpetual calendar knife made only in 1937. Sargeant gives a collector value due to rarity of 1000 dollars ( in 1981 )for this version. this knife has a gold wash. However Tiffany sold a version in solid 14k there cannot be to many but I can attest to seeing one I tried my best to own it and if it had had just a price tag would have I thought I was high enough but got sniped at the end. Still this is the kind of exception I am talking about. Usually though these examples were gold not pearl and I do not know of any original Schrades in real ivory so that is another strange claim that people make that I have never seen or believe in but, who knows. LT

Back