Schrade Walden 165 Old Timer

I am a new member to this forum. I have inherited an extensive knife collection. One of the knives is a Schrade Walden 165 Old Timer. From what I can gather this knife is in mint condition, never sharpened or carried. I am a novice, but am being drawn into this process by the mere fact that I am sitting on a collection that was started years ago and, by a twist of fate, ended up in my possession. My question is this. How do I begin to identify year made (serial number 12214) and value? Thanks for any help that might be offered...

Attachments

• DSC06178.jpg
    DSC06178.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC06180.jpg
    DSC06180.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC06183_2.jpg
    DSC06183_2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC06183.jpg
    DSC06183.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC06185.jpg
    DSC06185.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 62
Nice knife driftless. As many others will no doubt reply, it is worth what you can get for it. I recommend that you keep an eye on fleaBay or GunBroker to determine what they are going for currently.
Search completed auctions for knives similar to yours.
All best.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the feedback, Bridgeman. I am mesmerized by some of the research I have done on this new (old) knife collection. Although I've been hunting and fishing for years, I had no idea there was so much to this. It is quite interesting...

Looks like a nice knife made sometime between 69-73. Someone may be able to narrow it down more by the serial#. This forum can be a great resource for information but the moderators are very strict on enforcing the rules so you may what to get acquainted with them. If the rest of your collection is in as good of shape as your 165OT Woodsman then you have a fine lot to strat with.
Welcome Rick

Thank you, Upstream. I did pay to become a gold member with an understanding that my posting options increase. For some reason, it's not showing up under my name. Perhaps, there is some lag time before they get that listed... The Loveless Quote is great! I have a beautiful Loveless knife that is in mint condition, as well.

Thank you, Upstream. I did pay to become a gold member with an understanding that my posting options increase. For some reason, it's not showing up under my name. Perhaps, there is some lag time before they get that listed... The Loveless Quote is great! I have a beautiful Loveless knife that is in mint condition, as well.

At the top right of the page click settings, permisson groups and select Gold. That should show you as gold member.

The serialized 165s with the tang stampings on the "left" side of the blade puts the age closer to 1969 than 1973. They stopped the serializing and moved the stamps to the "right" side of the blade long before 1973. Additionally, the earliest sheaths for this knife would have had the strap installed at an angle to secure the guard only, not the handle only. So your knife is a little later than that earliest version. I have never been able to come up with good timelines for serial numbers. Did the factory make a thousand a month, or 20,000 a month? I sure don't know.

A nice example. You are on the right track if you follow the information and advice already given here regarding your knife.

The production amounts varied from year to year. There was no set number manufactured "per month". Totals of units produced were given at the end of each calendar year. I've given the early breakdown here before if someone cares to retrieve it.

Nice looking knife. :)
The serialized 165s with the tang stampings on the "left" side of the blade puts the age closer to 1969 than 1973. They stopped the serializing and moved the stamps to the "right" side of the blade long before 1973.
This was throwing me off as well. :eek: I don't recall seeing these with the stampings on the "left" side, but I wasn't too aware of the goings on with SCHRADE in those early years anyway. (Pre 1973) As far as I knew, all the tang stamps were on the right side. ;)
-Bruce

Nice knife. I've been trying to pick one up lately, but the auction prices always end beyond my bids. Seems like those are selling in the $100 range. Might be worth $150 if it was still in the original Old Timer box.

hint: don't throw away your boxes folks!

I need another one myself!

23vj4le.jpg

:D

Driftless -
Welcome :thumbup: and looks like you've found a place to hang out. The 165OT and 165UH are a favorite pattern for a lot of the members here.
Maybe we can coerce Tongueriver to show off one of his 165 family photos

Codger -
BIG SMILES :D:D up north at Howie's Schrade Shack!! I do see some more space on that table ...

-- Howie

The countertop is twelve feet long. Donations gladly accepted. :)

Oh, and I do have six or so that didn't make it into the family photo.

Um, Yeah, I see that. :rolleyes: ;)
-Bruce

Really. There are several issues I don't have. Like the one made for U.S. Tobacco, COPE165. And the second Ducks Unlimited issue, DU165. And I am sure there are others I have missed.

By the way, don't bid on the Rocky Mountain Elk issue auction unless you really want a Chinese Taylor knife.

Just one more, then I am going to quit for a while. Famous last words. LOL. How many times have we said that.
Harold

Actually, I've quit buying these knives quite a few times. For instance, I've not bought one since last fall. Hmmm... I think the Craftsman American Eagle Deerslayer #21524 in the light blue box was the last 165, sometime in October or November, IIRC.

fkyurd.jpg

ETA: Oops! I guess it was in January. Well, that has been two whole months!

Last edited:
Back