Scout knives?

E C

Do you make a smaller Official Scout lockback. I've seen the two that are 5" closed but thought I had seen a smaller model at some time. Could have been when I was a scout though.
smile.gif
I know small lockbacks are available in other lines but was hoping to get my son a Scout knife. If not I'll look at other options.

------------------
Pete
"Mishaps are like knives, that either serve us or cut us, as we grasp them by the blade or the handle."

Pete,
Sorry, but we do not make a small Boy Scout lock back. Don't ask me why!

Phil

Oh well, thanks for the answer. In checking out all the sites that sell Camillus on the web, I ran across some knives that will fit the ticket. Just without the logo. I would advance the opinion that a small scout lockback would be a great addition to the lineup. Whether that is your decision or the BSA I don't know. Either way the fact that you make the scout knives has brought me in to look at the other knives in your lineup so it's good for both of us.
Thanks

One of my "works in progress" is to put up a Camillus page on my site. Decisions must be made on what to keep in stock, and what to let distributors keep until somebody asks for one. What are the most popular of the Scout series?

There is, by the way, a fixed blade Norwegian Boy Scout Knife available from Helle.

And another question . . . Could the BSA be interested in licensing its logo on a more modern folder or two?

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Now if I can only find my Boy Scout knives...
Do various companies make official Boy Scout knives, or does it vary by time period, or always Camillus?

James, Further, I saw a post regarding the Moran that said the Boy Scouts no longer allowed fixed blades? Is this true? If it is, I gather from your post that you never heard this or know it to be an unfounded rumor.

I still have my Boy Scout Sheath knife, of course it may take awhile to find it or a visit to my parents to retrieve it. I can find my official hand axe, it is in my workbench.
smile.gif

A Norwegian Boy Scout knife would be subject to the rules of the Norwegian Boy Scouts, which are probably not exactly the same as those of the Boy Scouts of America.

Smallish fixed blade work and woodcraft knives in Scandinavia, from what I've been able to learn, are the social equivalent of a lockback "folding hunter" in North America.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

This is what I found per the Guide to Safe Scouting, at the official Boy Scouts of America site. It does not appear to have any prohibition against sheath knives, except to suggest that large ones are mostly unecessary. ¿¿¿Perhaps the poster lives in an area where the local or regional council or that particular troop frowns on them???
http://www.bsa.scouting.org/nav/about.html
A sharp pocketknife with a can opener on it is an invaluable backcountry tool. Keep it clean, sharp, and handy. Avoid large sheath knives. They are heavy and awkward to carry, and unnecessary for most camp chores except for cleaning fish. Since its inception, Boy Scouting has relied heavily on an outdoor program to achieve its objectives. This program meets more of the purposes of Scouting than any other single feature. We believe we have a duty to instill in our members, youth and adult, the knowledge of how to use, handle, and store legally owned knives with the highest concern for safety and responsibility.

References: Boy Scout Handbook, Fieldbook, Bear Cub Scout Book, and Wolf Cub Scout Book

There is a picture of a Boy Scout knife, but I cannot tell the manufacturer.

I have answered this question before but it's worth a fresh comment. I work in scouting through our Church. I contacted our district representative and very thoroughly investigated BSA policy about knives. At the national level, there are no prohibitions on fixed blades. There is an old urbane legend that they are prohibited, and some local leaders have promulgated that legend. Some Scoutmasters have made their own rules--they can be challenged. The only thing in national policy is a statement that large fixed blades are discouraged. That does not mean prohibited. I feel strongly that scouts should not be turned loose with large knives, including machetes, without being given a healthy respect for the environment, but half the problems we have today with vandalism and destruction (both property and lives) is that we shy away from the hard task of training youth to respect knives and guns. To respect them, they must have a "better than working" knowledge of them, and this only comes by handling them. I still remember a marksmanship instructor in the Army telling us that is that if we did not keep the muzzle "up and down range" we would leave his range with the M16 inserted into an orifice not built to receive such a large, irregularly shaped object! I've taught lot's of boy scouts (11 yrs old and up) to shoot and handle knives. It's worth it! Bruce Woodbury

Back