Scraping noise from BRAND NEW reel...?

Hey guys. When I reel in my new reel (used it the first time today) with a lure on it, it makes a scraping noise. I can describe it as the same noise a CD makes when in the CD player and it gets smooshed and grinds. I can't really feel it in the handle, but i can hear it. If i just sit there with the line in the line clip on the spool and reel it in it's as smooth as butter. So what i did was I tore it down (literally ever piece, even the bail wire!) cleaned it all up, regreased the entire reels contents, put it back together. I put a wiffle ball on the line and casted out. In the driveway it makes no noise, but if put in the grass under some tension it will make the noise, a bit fainter, but still make it. In the pool under constant pressure it makes it. Are they supposed to make noise when under pressure? It did it before with any weight on the line, now it only does it under pressure. Help!

Ya got me.
Are you sure it's not the drag slipping?
Otherwise :confused:

Reel repair is not my strong point. Id suggest one drop of reel oil, not grease, on each bearing.

The bearings are sealed & absolutely perfect. It doesn't do it as bad now. Hopefully it will work itself out.

Have a look at the main sharft see if its strait it only need to be a little bent and the spool will touch the body of the real

Nothing on the reel is touching anything though. That's why i'm so stumped. it has 8 bearings, all of which are smooth and lubed. Nothing is bent. Everything is secure. I greased everything that needed greasing with phil wood grease (good stuff, got it when i worked in the bike shop). It's now only when pressure is added to the line. It doesn't really do it with lures anymore. I cleaned the entire reel out and had it literally apart piece by piece. It's driving me insane!

I can hear the gears when reeling in, the purr sound of them, just like my baitcaster sounds like. But there's this mysterious noise. I'll take some pics and see if i cant get the sound on video for you guys.

Two Vids. First ones it without any load on the line, second is with load on the line. Click the images to go to the vid.

I'm guessing line roller.

I've got an Abu Garcia Centre Drag reel. It was brand new when I took it boat lure fishing for sea bass for 3 days. If you think yours is noisy you should here mine! Within a day it was sounding like a coffee grinder but it works and catches fish perfectly well.

IMGP1149.jpg

Octopus on a metal wedge lure.

IMGP1137.jpg

(sorry about my legs....)

Hmm. I applied grease to all the parts on the line roller. I put the string on the other side of the bail where the roller isn't and reeled in, and it still makes noise. Lol, if one of us figures this out i will be suprised! It's like a reel ghost.

I know it's probably nothing to worry about, it's just driving me nuts! and i've had cheap reels that made no noise through their use, and this one which is built nice has noise!

If it helps any all of the grease was white except for the grease on the gear that runs along the spool shaft, that was black. Maybe graphite is rubbing off the body into the grease?

ive had the same issue with baitcasters it was always a burr in the worm gear or paul gear, but on a spincast I have no clue maybe its a little burr somewhere that your just not catching, If its a quality reel take it back tell them its whats up they'll prolly. give you another

Yorkshire, you were right. I went back through and double checked everything and so the last two things i checked were where the drag touches the spool and the line roller. I put the string back on the opposite side of the roller and listened and hey, no noise. I got to thinking, what moves when the line is out, but not when the line is clipped. line roller! Guess i wasn't thorough enough before. Thanks guys!

Back