Seal Pup vs Seal Pup Elite

What can I say, I liked my Seal Pup so much that I had to get the Elite too (the straight edge).

Overall, I like it. The blade is thicker and it feels heavier in my hand. The weight makes your hand naturally wrap around it.

But there are a few other things that I am curious about. The literature on SOG's site makes the differences between the knives sound more significant. It refers to a longer ergonomic handle with deeper finger grooves and a "Racy new blade shape" as well as a longer cutting edge.

I've literally laid them back to back and side by side and can't see the above mentioned differences. They both measure out to about 9.25" whereas the literature says the pup is 9 and the pup elite is 9.5.

Am I missing something?

I love my pup elite. I need to have a good sheath made for it though. I don't like using the kydex except for diving and the nylon is too big to discreetly carry. the grinds are different. the pup is flat ground out of a thinner stock and the elite is hollowground out of a thicker stock. I could be mistaken but I think the elite is sub zero quenched as well.
Perhaps Chris will be along soon to answer any questions.

Seal pup elite is a great knife I have two of them one satin one blk tini bolth staight edge.bolth are 9.5 long.the only seal elite knife that is zero quenched is seal team elite,I have one, if you can get one,get it great knife! I think sog floped the marketing for there seal elite series by being silly(tjmo) I bought them cuz there knives speak for them selfs.If I could afford it I would have a wood block filled with seal pup elites in my kitchen
I often use my satin elite at the dinner table(my wife doesn't understand)as far as the cutting blade I think it is closer to the handle than the frist pup.

Point taken about the grinds being different. As I said, the heavier weight feels good in your hand. I really do prefer the straight edge, but wouldn't mind if we had serrations on the back of the blade as opposed to the rasp.

I agree about the kydex sheath. I like it, but the offset at the top is a bit clunky. I wish that the kydex had a bit more of a positive grip to it. I've experimented with unscrewing the belt clip to mount it horizontally. It feels more comfortable, but I'm afraid of the knife slipping out. I've thought about taking the belt clip from my CRKT ABC to attach the sheath horizontally, but again, I am worried about retention. I notice that a lot of these Kydex sheaths have interchangeable parts. Anyone know of a place for a consumer to get them?

A good option (for vertical carry) is SOG's leather sheath. Much more discreet and comfortable in my opinion. Just can't mount horizontally without a lot of jury-rigging.

I think Chris from SOG had mentioned in another thread that they had seen a lot of great improvisations for carrying/mounting their knives. Have they considered a photo gallery to inspire other users?

Finally, Why did they advertise a longer handle and longer cutting edge? For those of us who don' have a good local knife shop nearby, we depend on the manufacturers description to purchase online. I'm still very happy with the knife, just would have liked a more accurate description.

The SEAL Pup vs Pup Elite sizes.

I just pulled two random knives that I had near my desk. One SEAL Pup and one Pup Elite. Here are the differences as Illustrated in the image included.

SOG_SEAL-Pup_Comp.jpg

1. The cutting edge is about 1/2" longer.
2. The overall blade length is about 1/8" longer.
3. The handle is about 1/4" longer.

Hope this helps illustrate the differences and where we came up with the improvements.

These are two photos of mine.

IMG_1194a.jpg

As in Chris' photo from SOG

IMG_1198a.jpg

Back to back

There is an obvious difference in blade shape between my Seal Pup and the Seal Pup in Chris photos. Mine has a longer blade and the handle is thicker like the elite. The logos on Chris' knives and mine are obviously different as well. Are my logos newer or older than the ones that Chris shows?

thats a seal pup elite with powder coating and no rasp.ask chris how many were made like that.or some one could have been playing around at the factory and you have a one of a kind? (hey chris whats up with this seal pup?)thats the same handle and blade shape.cool

In order to meet increasing demand for the SEAL Pup knife we have started dual sourcing that model from both Japan and Taiwan. Both versions of the knife have the same lifetime warranty and are produced to the highest standards of SOG and the elite Special Forces community. Actually the secondary sourced SEAL Pup is very similar to a SEAL Pup Elite with out the spine rasp. It has the revised handle, thicker steel stock, and AUS-8 stainless steel. This explains the differences between the version I took pictures of and the version you have. To this date there has been a limited number of those produced.

What is the purpose of a spine rasp? i have file that on my seal pup elite special edition 2005 staight edge....and now its easy to plant,to perfore something.
ps the seal pup with longer cutting edge and handle seems to be better,and look great.and sorry for my writhing its because im franco-canadian.

Just wanted to thank Chris for his update.

Both of mine are marked Taiwan on the blade.

I had remarked about the kydex sheath not having enough of a positive grip. I had originally gotten that sheath with the seal pup. It fit both the pup and the pup elite.

Something made me go out and get the sheath made for the elite and I have to say--it has a much, much more positive grip.

I would like to be clear on the difference which model has the thicker stock in AUS8 steel and does that come in the tiger stripe?

I would like to be clear on the difference which model has the thicker stock in AUS8 steel and does that come in the tiger stripe?

The Seal Pup Elite has the thicker steel stock in AUS8, and according to Chris, there are some Seal Pups made in Taiwan that also have the thicker steel stock and AUS8 steel. Both versions come with a tiger stripe option

Thanks....of all the knives I own the only SOG I have is a twitch II I got at Blade last year which is a very nice little knife and has worked well so far.

Thanks....of all the knives I own the only SOG I have is a twitch II I got at Blade last year which is a very nice little knife and has worked well so far.

No problems mate. I've got the Twitch 2 as well its a great knife for sure. Perfect size for EDC

Does anyone know if the Seal Pup Elite is made with a non-serrated blade and tigerstriped?

I just had a look at the SOG website and it appears that the tigerstriped version only comes partially serrated

The SEAL Pup vs Pup Elite sizes.

I just pulled two random knives that I had near my desk. One SEAL Pup and one Pup Elite. Here are the differences as Illustrated in the image included.

SOG_SEAL-Pup_Comp.jpg

1. The cutting edge is about 1/2" longer.
2. The overall blade length is about 1/8" longer.
3. The handle is about 1/4" longer.

Hope this helps illustrate the differences and where we came up with the improvements.

Hey, is the seal pup elite in your picture made in Japan? I noticed that the writing on the blade is different than on my seal pup elite, so i am assuming either that you guys updated the logo, OR the difference between the two differentiate which one is made it Taiwan VS Japan?

The Seal Pup Elite was never made in Japan. It was always made in Taiwan. if you're referring to the one on top (Seal Pup) then I think the newer ones have the finger grooves on the guard...

I have the Seal Pup elite, made in Taiwan stamped on it.
My kydex sheath is attached to a velcro belt attachment is this new or just another option?
Ill add a picture later.

The Seal Pup Elite was never made in Japan. It was always made in Taiwan. if you're referring to the one on top (Seal Pup) then I think the newer ones have the finger grooves on the guard...

I think Gaurdian A1 was referring to the bottom knife (Sealpup Elite). It's an older Sealpup Elite without the SOG logo. I've got a black Tini one with the same font. And yeah, always been made in Taiwan

Back