SEARS KNIFE WORLD

Ok, Carrying on from some of the big Boys that I posted on page 13, many of our friends have posted some beautiful examples of Sears Scouts - as well as many other patterns- and it's been a pure joy seeing these come up, Page 6 I posted one of these exact knives in gorgeous condition, here is another of the same patter, someone has had P.A.L engraved very nicely on the Bolsters, I am not sure if this is for the the P.A.L services? I am not sure, but I feel this Knife is too nice not to post- even though we have seen some appear already.

The variances of Bone colouring were definitely out there to choose, I think that the work with colour and Jigging is absolutely bang on here...

Interesting seeing Myron's and Charlies discussions over the shields on these exact Knives :) :thumbsup: Thank you Gentlemen for your input.

Interesting to note, we all now know that STA-SHARP is a Sear's owned Brand name that where the rights for exclusive use of that Brand name was to Camillus, so too the CHROME PLATED, I haven't seen documentation of the Chrome Plated being given exclusively to Camillus for Knives for Sears - so this is purely an assumption of mine and I certainly do not mind being corrected, being on this journey together- it takes many Heads to come up with a solid! I have viewed many knives with these Etchings and they all fall back into place as stated.
I have never seen the Sub-Etch of CHROME PLATED used on an Ulster Knife ( Ulster had the same rights to Sears owned Brand name CHROME VANADIUM ).

v8hzQSr.jpg

n6KqMmQ.jpg

QSLiAkZ.jpg

JNRsyud.jpg

Gorgeous specimen, Duncan. Would you mind showing us the backside? In my own collection I've observed great variability of coin-edging. Sometimes none, sometimes the outer liners, sometimes the center plate only, etc.

My guess on your example is that PAL is a former owners initials. With no shield or plate on the top scale, I guess the bolster would be the only other place to do it.

Thanks,

Myron

Thank you Meako matey :)

Thank you Myron, Bolsters look very nice when engraved nicely, the older engraving seemed to be just that notch above what we see in todays World, I have a Challenge that has remarkable ownership Engraving.

I can't get to taking photo's right now as we are in the middle of a big outdoor Fence removal / Concrete removal project, and yes your 100% correct with your observations, I suspect that the Middle Liner is Coined only - in fact it's heavier than Coining, but when I do revisit the Knives I will revisit your question my friend definitely, apologies for not being able to do so right now, I have struggled to find the time I want in Blade Forums of late, but having a re-shuffle :thumbsup:

So just to prove you right- usually on the ultra elite patterns like this Premium Senator, Camillus went all out, this Knife has Rust staining, but boy do I love this Knife!

Dqd8S4I.jpg

Followed by a photo of all of the Liners Milled......

YGJcxOH.jpg

I am sure I have a photo of one of my scouts Liners- but right now I am out the Door for work, here a Cattle Knife with the usual Centre Liner Milled on the bigger Knives......

5CvISzs.jpg

GiqPoxm.jpg

Cheers Duncan...I hear you on the subject of renovation...is yours at home or workplace? Sounds huge...I'm currently laying new flooring at Stately Meako Manor...carpet was easy 50yo and when vacuuming I was picking up more carpet than dirt...so up she comes. Good Cypress Pine floorboards .I asked my mate Little Jesus the floor pro..do I polish the boards or lay the hybrid planks? Price difference negligible so doing plank. However.....once I began it became apparent that the skirting boards had to be removed and replaced ...and the old granny wallpaper was past it...so ripped that all off ...cleaned up walls and brightened up with all new paint...including stripping the door and window frames...I chip away at it each day and very happy with the results....Pressure on to get the last room done before December comes rolling in...Cheers sorry for the derail.😇

Hey Meako matey

Dont be sorry- man you have been busy!

it's our Home- Sue and I bought an Old Bungalow ( 1920 ) where the last owner thought he was a do-it yourself guy- but he must had some real good Mushrooms- because everything- and I mean everything he touched he ruined, we knew it to a degree when we bought the place- but even when we dig in the Garden- he has buried all sorts of crap - old broken glass, metal, plastics - well...everywhere- so whenever we do anything its three times the work, I have torn down the big Front Fence- replaced big Support Posts on Front Deck, redone some plumbing under House, Completely wiped out Rear Deck and Pagoda Roof- that he has done and replaced it all - the rear Deck is now huge with a gorgeous tinted Pagoda Roof- been doing the Weatherboards he has done, ripped out Doors he put in and either replaced or weather-boarded where they were,
Taken down his complete disaster structures and garden boxing - trees planted right next to Garage and House- all taken out and gone, smashed out Front side Brick walls that he built for Garden and I replaced with huge solid slabs of Macrocapa, smashed out concrete and brick pathway to house - getting that concreted in - along with the posts for huge side Fence in the weekend - and there is so much more we have done- yet still got a looooong way to go!

NO Worries Duncan....it'll all be over by xmas 😄....My place is circa 1963...a year olfer than me...it is likely built by the family who bought the block back then...good hardwood frame with fibro and a flat metal roof...still solid...the guy could build...interior linings however...not so flash which no amount of paint can disguise...lets call it character...the ocean view makes up for it.
Cheers...keep at it...Ive certainly found it rewarding...in a kind of weird' oh no I'm turning into my Dad' way 🤣

Good on you Meako, I remember a time when you were struck down- its fantastic to see you where you are now my friend- this is really good news.

Here is a Lovely "Bone Stag" Sears Knife- yet again a very nice example of what Sears offered up for sale, this is an Ulster Knife with the main etch of Craftsman, and the sub etch Chrome Vanadium.
I really like this medium sized Stockman with lovely Jigged Bone.

This Knife was one of the very first Knives that came out as CRAFTSMAN in the later part of 1941- and 1942 was the year when Craftsman was now Sears leading Brand name in Knives, this knife here was on the top row of the Sears Catalog, this Catalog page was somewhat like a Body Builders Contest up on Stage- Both Camillus and Ulster vying for the top spot, unfortunately Camillus was to loose this fight. Camillus still had Kitchen Knives and the likes available, but the Pocket Knives went towards Albert Baer at the Helm of Ulster.
Camillus now and then poked their heads up- and a little more in the later years before Sears were advertising almost no Knives in comparison to the earlier days.

You could purchase this for $0.98 cents.

hc2zgGg.jpg

hNqugiR.jpg

9uokw8P.jpg

0ON1egT.jpg

AbiUPEs.jpg

Thanks guys! :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Steve my friend!

Jeff, I think by now you have proven that you cannot fight that fight when it comes to a Stockman, or Fixed Blades, or GEC 53s or.............

Very neat Handles aren't they Meako- Love the colour variations that both Camillus and Ulster had to offer in their Bone Stag Handles.

Charlie thank you, I remember Codger quoting a few stories straight from either paper work or quotes with friends on their association with Mr A Baer, what an incredible life story that man has, I would dearly love to learn more.

Back