Self defense knife throwing?

I can't understand why someone would voluntarily throw away a primary tool - there are so many better options.

Yeah, I think even in the few occasions throwing knives/stars were actually used it was more as a distraction so they could run away or prepare for a real attack. You're mostly just going to piss them off and give them a weapon.

Yeah, I think even in the few occasions throwing knives/stars were actually used it was more as a distraction so they could run away or prepare for a real attack. You're mostly just going to piss them off and give them a weapon.

This. They were for distraction. At least the senban were. Then you had the boshuriken, but still a distraction. For example, you'll see some moves were a person throws something before they strike with the sword.

To the comments of why would you throw away a knife or a primary tool, you aren't. You most likely would have a knife for knife's sake, and then you'd have ones to throw for throwing's sake. With that said, samurai would try not to throw the last shuriken. If it comes down to it, you can use them in grappling.

Also, say you did throw a knife at someone. Yes you are giving them your blade. Now, they miraculously catch it or side step and it falls to the ground. They still have to look for it and bend down to pick it up. Tactically picking up the knife is a bad idea as the thrower is either A) escaping and not to be found or B) using the split second of reaction time that the assailant blocks and side steps to rush in and finish the job.

Point of the matter, it's not a finishing blow but does by you some time to make a tactical decision.

ETA:

Think of it as a boxer's jab. Boxers will use a left jab to set up a right hook or haymaker, the ol' one, two. You see them pecking at the opponent with their left hand heartlessly. Peck, peck, peck. Until they can get a good right hook in. Same thing. Peck, peck, throw a knife. Hands go up and you see an opening. It's a means to an end, not the end itself. A set up, a strategem, chicanery if you will.

Back