Serial No's

Hi all as i am new to the forum would like to say hello to all
I am to collecting Japanese Katana's and would like to ask if i can I/D a Nco's sword by the serial number's 105385
Would be greatful for any help

Hi all as i am new to the forum would like to say hello to all
I am to collecting Japanese Katana's and would like to ask if i can I/D a Nco's sword by the serial number's 105385
Would be greatful for any help
This isn't a high traffic area of the forum, so I'll jump in to say that you will need to post pictures of the tang and any maker's marks you can find. Japanese WW2 swords are heavily counterfeited, so a serial number won't mean much unless it comes with a provenance that isn't also faked. The current paradigm seems to be that, "I found this in Grandpa's effects when he passed, I don't need a katana, so it's on eBay." On a basic membership, you need to use an image hosting site like imgur, and there are many threads on how to do that. Once you have some pictures up, the guys who know stuff will have something to work with.

Not sure if there is a data base for serial numbers on NCO swords. They are non-traditionally made, therefore outside the scope of my studies as well as most Nihonto collectors. Military collector groups may have some info. ???

The military section of the Nihonto Message Board has some guys with the best knowledge of NCO serials. If they don't know, likely no-one does.
That said, they can tell you where it fits into production and verify it's a legit number. But there is zero way to ever link a serial to a soldier or NCO, so not gonna happen.

Back