Serrated Knife Recommendation?

Lenny

Gold Member
Hi all.
As the title says, I'm looking for a serrated knife for Bread and Misc. use.
It has to have a Wa (Japanese) handle and my spend limit is around $100.
It'd also be nice if it had the type of serrations that can be sharpened by the Spyderco Sharpmaker.
Links would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Hi all.
As the title says, I'm looking for a serrated knife for Bread and Misc. use.
It has to have a Wa (Japanese) handle and my spend limit is around $100.
It'd also be nice if it had the type of serrations that can be sharpened by the Spyderco Sharpmaker.
Links would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Kohetsu at ChefknivestoGo.
Hitohira.
Kanetsugu,
All made in Japan Wa-handle serrated bread knives, And all around $150 range.
You might find some Chinese made one at your budget.

I'm happy with Victorinox fibrox handled bread knife, well under budget.

Reactions: CSG
Hiya Lenny just quickly found a Kai Seki Magoroku Redwood - about 10" long with an oval Wa handle for about a ton.
Personally I like Appalachian bow fiddle bread knives with a 0.4mm - 1/64th of an inch thick scalloped blade - like a commercial bakery bread slicer - totally effortless even on hot crusty sourdough and pineapples - my blade is from the mid 1970`s - is used everyday and is still really sharp.
There is hardly any crumbs because the blade is six/seven times thinner than a normal bread knife.
All my bread knives are cheapies.
BREAD_KNIVES.jpg

Last edited:
Ginsu`s are brilliant but what do bakeries and supermarkets use - and why? because they are mega efficient and fast.
The black carbon blade underneath is nearly fifty years old - has never been sharpened - still works fine.
Like these -
BOW-BREAD-KNIFE-1.jpg

I'm partial to this one, the offset bread knife gives great leverage. Also very well below your budget and easy to sharpen on the Sharpmaker.

QTRIbMm.jpeg

That is a lovely well-designed knife oldmanwilly - I`ve seen it used in restaurants so obviously it can take abuse and go in an industrial dishwasher and a commercial knife steriliser - it will last for decades and can be easily sharpened too - brilliant.

The Torijo ITK is a lovely Japanese knife - it`s a bit short for me personally at 10.5 inches - I prefer 12" and 14" bread knives and the bow knives are the best in the World for efficient bread slicing but are not as versatile as a traditional bread knife because of the frame design.
I got nicked by a new bow knife blade today - it is lethal - the BESS rating is between 50-100 - which is comparable to a blade on a commercial bread-slicing machine.These blades are typically 0.3mm thick which is 1/75th of an inch thick - so bread is cleanly sliced in no time.
Like these -
Bread_Slicer_Blades.jpg

ELECTRIC_BREAD_SLICER.jpg

Last edited:
If you don't mind "pre-owned", the Mighty Oak (by Imperial) bread knife (11" blade) has served me well for over 30 years. You can find them relatively expensively on Ebay. I have even sharpened mine, using a small chainsaw file.

For absolute lethality and bread-murdering capability, you can't beat the bow knives, such as Roaduck posted above. They can be a little fiddly to get used to, because the blades tend to flex, but worth the trouble to get to know.

Edit: (Sorry, I missed the fact that the OP specified a Wa handle.)

Last edited:
Any knife that can be sharpened garry3 and Aardvark is better for the World and the environment and our children.

Back