serrations

soopy

BOUNCED EMAIL: I need to update my email address in my profile!
Is this a dumb Question?? I am wondering if anybody makes custom patterned files to put serrations on a blade. I have seen custom stones advertised for sharpening the common production pattern(spyderco etc.) Could these stones be used to apply a serrated edge???????????????? :confused: Thanxalot!!

I've tried to put serration on a professional victorinox kitchen knife bothe with a gerber diamond rod sharpener, and with spyderco's triangler and it had ruin the knife. I'm no expert, but I think you need to have a pre-sharppend blade to begin with.

I've done it twice with files. Not easy but not impossible.
The first time I put all new serrations onto a delica 98 after flat grinding the blade and making a new handle for it.
The second time was to make a 605 special into a combo edge.
I used a half round diamond file both times ( cheap ones that slide into the handle as a case, about $10) All the serrations are round, no alternating triangle ones like spyderco and benchmade. It took LOTS of time and concentration, and you need a decent vise or something to hold the blade in. Plan on the file being fairly worn when your finished too. Not worn out by any means, but it definitely won't cut like ti did when you started.

Back