Shanghai Warrior - A real smatchet

I was looking at buying the Cold Steel Smatchet machete, I have a few CS machetes and love them. In my research there were a few articles about the actual Length of the original smatchet, at about 10 inches, and a very heavy weapon. Then I looked at other brands with expensive reproductions, and then I looked at the CS Shanghai Warrior. This seems closer to the original specs than the machete version so I bought one. This thing is a beast.
I cannot wait to go bush and play with it. It cuts, it throws, and I am thinking of removing the slabs and bolting it into a spear. (that's for the future). It came sharp out of the box.
I have done 2 small vids on instagram at gunsandknives4488 if anyone is interested and would love to hear your thoughts on this beast.

Thank you upnorth. I love to learn about new things, especially in my favourite field, that being blades!

I never knew about the dag or dague. So cool to learn about a knife with a Canadian history! I always knew about European fur traders bringing in steel knives but wasn't aware of the type. Thank you for teaching me something new?

I am also having a look at buying another and removing the slabs and trying to make a spear. Should be able to bolt it on really well. I have made a bushman spear that is great, but this, I think will surpass it.
And thanks "upnorth", that is the same article I found and was referring to in the instagram post.

Thanks gents. I have many hobbies/interests, which often dovetail each other. I once read in a traders diary about a drunken knifing. One drunken native got nailed 2-3 times with a dag. after a trading session, and it killed the Indian on the spot. The description was pretty horrific......Then an aggrieved band member went and killed the attackers mother. A young related kid was hidden in a traders residence until after the incident and the booze was slept off. The kid later put a musket into a tent and shot his mothers killer. Just insane. You think the movies are kind of over the top about frontier violence ? Believe me, the trader journals can make your hair stand. Many, many stories.

Back