Shapton pro

I'm having a hard time developing any mud on these stones... it takes a few minutes and sharpening with very very hard pressure.. is this normal cause after watching some YouTube videos it seems to develop a lot easier for other people

Which stones are you using? Some make more slurry than others. Are you using enough water? I know they say just spray them, but even with my Glass stones, I must keep them very wet. You shouldn't need much pressure though! Sounds like your running them dry. Remember that splash and go stones won't build up as much mud as standard water stones that get soaked.

I haven't used my Shapton Pros much, so I'm not an expert. I don't get much slurry either. It doesn't seem to hurt the results. You could rub with a nagura stone (I think it's called) to produce slurry. I just keep them wet and not worry about it.

Yea it doesn't seem to make a difference and I also keep a spray bottle close and keep it wet.. I seen some videos where they get muddy quick without using a nagura or slurry stone and without it getting muddy it seems to load up and not remove as much material. And this is the 2k,5k, and 8k. The 1k is no problem that is an aggressive stone

Shapton Pros are spash and go. Not muddy at all when I use them. The 320 will develop some slurry, but above 1000, I haven't noticed much. You can use a nagura and develop some mud if you really want to.

The coarse stones will develop some mud as would be expected but its mainly swarfy water from 1k and up.

I guess what I'm saying is if I don't see grey on the stone how do I know I'm Doing anything? I might be weird but i love seeing a puddle of black water on my stones

That's my question swarfy water not mud.. sry still learning some terms I guess

I have 3 Shapton Pro stones 120, 220, and 2000. None of them really produce a mud like other stones or naturals. The 120 and 220 have a bit more mud but that's the nature of most coarse grit stones. The 2K creates more of a steel slurry with very little grit in the mixture but that depends on the steel.

What steel are you sharpening ?
Some of the high alloy super steels just laugh at any stone but diamonds (over simplication but . . .) and aren't able to cut off much from the blade.

PS: I have NEVER had any use for mud (grit material from the stone) on a stone. If you are not getting black on the stone from metal coming off of the edge THAT IS a problem.

Last edited:
Mud on a stone is only useful for large bevel polishing, like this...

8FA77E80-F900-47A6-AF4A-39DC81B0CD22.jpg

Yea I can get it doing large bevels but still takes way longer.. and I'm sharpening a lot of cheap stainless, some carbon and some vg 10. Pretty. Basic steels.. off of my higher grits I don't really see too much swarf on the stone.. however I think all my water may be running right off the stone probably due to unlevel countertops haven't checked

Higher grit Shaptons will mostly load with steel and with good carbon steel kitchen knives or chisels they will make black water and have minimal loading. If you want a muddy finishing stone the Cerax 6k like I have photoed above would be my rec.

Jason are u saying better steel will produce black water and shit steel will mostly load?

Higher grit Shaptons will mostly load with steel and with good carbon steel kitchen knives or chisels they will make black water and have minimal loading. If you want a muddy finishing stone the Cerax 6k like I have photoed above would be my rec.
Doesn't look like Cerax 6k. My cerax 6k is a white stone.... Wrong pic maybe?

Other than that i agree. Really like the cerax stones. Nice creamy mud. Fun :)

Hmm thanks Jason. Didn't realize there was a new vs old. I guess I have old.

Are you familiar with both formulations? What's the difference?

I think you have the New, mine is the first gen Cerax. I don't know their differences.

Yea it doesn't seem to make a difference and I also keep a spray bottle close and keep it wet.. I seen some videos where they get muddy quick without using a nagura or slurry stone and without it getting muddy it seems to load up and not remove as much material. And this is the 2k,5k, and 8k. The 1k is no problem that is an aggressive stone

It loads up and does not show much swarf? Instead of misting it, maybe give it a quick dunk/complete immersion or slowly pour some water on it, give it a rub with fingertips, and another pour.

I've noticed new shapton stones have somewhat of a hydrophobic coating and it takes a few good passes to wear that off so water sits on the stone verses beading up and running off. Also they just doesn't seem like a muddy stones in general, they are very hard slow wearing stones. I would say if you're looking for mud you'll need to look at different brands.

Back