Sharp as a tack now! First Model 1 picked up but dull as butter knife.

PCL

Hello, first post in this thread and of course looking for help. I recently picked up the Model 1 for real cheap (only because the paint was scraped up) but it was very dull. So I tried my sharpmaker on both 40 and 30 with very little success. So I'm asking for the correct inclusive bevel, I have heard nothing but good things about this knife and I don't want to give up and chuck it in a drawer. Any help will be appreciated. I did try the search option but after 40 or so pages I got bleary eyed, lol.

Well thanks anyway, I figured it out.

Last edited:
Hey PCL, thanks for coming in! You may want to post this question in the Ask Toooj thread. Toooj is Paul Tsujimoto, our VP of Engineering, and he pops in there about once a day to answer questions. He's your best bet. I, as a marketing guy, am mostly here to say things like "Hey PCL, thanks for coming in" :witless:

My 3 rat 2's and one rat 1 all seemed to be somewhere around 25-30 degrees, definitely not 40. I have mixed feelings about the sharpmaker, it's gotten some of my knives back to hair shaving sharp relatively quickly, even heavy used ones, but other blades won't get sharp at all, and I'll have to take them to my KME sharpener. I'm taking it you bought it used? It could be an inconsistency in edge bevels, be it from the factory, or someone that doesn't know how to sharpen knives well. Sharpmaker seems best at maintaining an already good edge, not trying to sharpen one that might need to be profiled/reprofiled.

There's a lot of automation in the RAT folder manufacturing process, so I immediately assumed this was a used knife, especially with the scraping. Did it come from a reputable seller? Sadly, there are fakes out there to worry about as well.

Naturally, if this is a real RAT folder and it came from the factory that way, I'm gonna want that back so I can trade you a new one.

After working on the edge with a sharpening steel then my lansky, I was able to get the bevel at 20 degree. I picked it up at a local thrift store for $5.00. Now after the bevel was fixed it is hair popping sharp. The only thing wrong with it now is I put one of the standoffs in wrong and stripped the screw trying to back it out. I can't find honestly anything to complain about, it's a great knife and I will buy more (new). I'm thinking about the RAT 1 in D2 and a RAT 2. Thanks for the responses.

I have used the 40 deg angle on my sharpmaker for all three of my Rats. In hindsight, I am not sure whether over time I actually re-profiled them or they were naturally ground to that angle but regardless, I am very happy with the edge it gives. It's a good compromise between usable sharp and edge retention. The balance I shoot for with an edc folders.

Sidenote: This past fall I bought an SP5 bowie that came to me duller than any knife I can remember purchasing. I also think the angles were inconsistent. I guess I could have called or emailed OKC or maybe sent it back but I really need to improve my sharpening skills so I looked at it as an opportunity to learn. I simply spent time working on it. It took me forever (because I'm not real good at sharpening and because I don't have a coarse stone) but I got it there.

Sidenote: This past fall I bought an SP5 bowie that came to me duller than any knife I can remember purchasing. I also think the angles were inconsistent. I guess I could have called or emailed OKC or maybe sent it back but I really need to improve my sharpening skills so I looked at it as an opportunity to learn. I simply spent time working on it. It took me forever (because I'm not real good at sharpening and because I don't have a coarse stone) but I got it there.

Sorry to hear it, although I love the approach you took to that. A while back, we discussed our edging and grinding on Bladeforums and admitted that we were not happy with it. We have been working on that for a long time and I'd say those processes are very good now. We probably aren't ever going to say we're satisfied with them, because that's a good way to let mistakes start creeping back in.

Well I just ordered the RAT II and an OD green RAT I as a gift for a very good friend. After having his initials engraved (laser) it will be a birthday present for him.

Sorry to hear it, although I love the approach you took to that...

Yeah. It's not like it arrived warped or cracked. Even dull, it's still a great USA made 1095 knife for a ridiculous price. Being able to put a serviceable edge on a knife like that is a prerequisite of ownership, in my mind. Having said that: If I had paid 3 times more then I'd probably expect a higher level of fit and finish but in this case.... A little time / equity just made it feel a bit more like mine and it helps me get better at sharpening.

My Rat folders all came with great edges, now that I think about it.

Back