Sharpening hollow ground edges

I'm familiar with how to sharpen scandi, convex, and flat ground edges.

But how do you sharpen a hollow ground knife?

Thanks,
Dave

Someone else might want to chime in on this but, I would treat it like you would any other flat or convex ground blade. Use your preferred method for maintaining the micro bevel.

Sharpen as you would a convex or flat. Big advantafe though, less chance if scratching the blade with the concave shape of hollow ground. I sharpen all of my hollow grinds the same as I sharpen every weeks batch of Fiddlebacks on mondays.

Hey, I just noticed the replies in this thread.

Thanks for the info, guys. Albeit a belated thanks...

Allen, I have to chime in on this one... By the nature of hollow grinds, they are normally rather "thin behind the edge". I find hollow grinds to be VERY easy to stop and VERY easy to maintain a superb edge. You do some nice heat treating, your CPM is a dream to maintain if holds an edge!

-Will

Allen, I have to chime in on this one... By the nature of hollow grinds, they are normally rather "thin behind the edge". I find hollow grinds to be VERY easy to stop and VERY easy to maintain a superb edge. You do some nice heat treating, your CPM is a dream to maintain if holds an edge!

-Will

I'll second that. I've always heard that CPM is harder to sharpen. But my WAS knives are very easy to get that razor sharp edge back quickly with a proper strop.

Back