Sharpening scandi vex?

cbach8tw

Platinum Member
I will ask this since my sharpening skills are sad, even more so when considering how to sharpen my Koyote knives, what is the best way to sharpen one of these scandi vex knives? In particular I am referring to my #1 Leuku with a six inch blade. I appreciate any help, and I figure this is one way to keep the discussion going on this forum.

I know Christof says on his website that he uses a strop, but thats for a brand new blade. If I go and strictly use a Koyote knife as a primary knife for a week up in the woods elk hunting I'm going to need to re-sharpen at least a couple times. Fallkniven makes a sharpener for their scandi grind, I have one, but havent used it yet and wondered if that would work on the scandivex grind as well. I'm not so worried about scratching the blade, if I really use it it'll get scratched anyway, but I do need a good way to sharpen them reliably in the field. Brad

Check out these videos from Knives ship free. They are for sharpening convexed edges. Will work fine for the scandivex grind, just make sure to lay it a bit flatter than a blade that is just convexed. The scandivex is just a high convexed edge. Where as a normal convex is usually just a secondary bevel or very low convexed edge in comparison to a scandivex.

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/knife-sharpening-videos/

Christof recommends either a strop bat or mouse pad technique. He prefers the strop bat or any thick strop on a hard flat surface. Using a JRE strop system, he uses the black rouge side overall. He doesn't seem to get a lot of improvement with the other rouges, but likes a bit of micro-tooth on the edge.

Tacking a piece of 400 or 600 grit sandpaper to the top of the strop for more aggressive sharpening is a fine first step.

Back