Sharpening

Nap

I've had my Companion around my neck since I received it. I only take it off to shower, and that's really a matter of not wanting wet paracord around my neck. It's my go-to blade for all of my everyday tasks; I don't even carry anything clipped to my pocket these days. (I do carry a Pioneer X for utility.)

Yesterday I discovered a chip in the edge, and yeah, it had gotten a bit dull. My sharpening system is a Spyderco Sharpmaker, which as most people know has two angles: 15° and 20° per side. I asked Brian some time ago what edge he put on stock Companions, and he said it was around 30° per side.

I bit the bullet, grabbed my diamond rods and a permanent marker, and set out to put a 15° edge on it. The results were impressive.

It only took about 30m to get it hair-popping sharp with the thinner profile. It may not be as tough as my ZDP-189 blades (for instance), but as long as I can bring it back to life with little difficulty, I don't care. It carries better than the dozen or so other neckers I have, and it hasn't failed me yet. This is one hell of a knife.

Hear hear! I haven't even managed to dull it yet, and I've been carrying it every single day and using it for every single cutting task.

Truth be told, it wasn't even dull by most people's standards. It was still cutting things, just not as well as I liked; I really just wanted to take the chip out of it, and I wanted the thinner geometry.

Last edited:
Back