Sheath placement

Considering all the different ways there are to open a Balisong, where do you wear your sheath to facilitate the best opening options??

Myself, I always have two on me and wear them horizontally. Placement is about 3 inches from either side of my belt buckle, opening facing forward and Latch forward

I find this the best carry option for me for two reasons:
1) The hands can grab the knives on their respective sides for a quick "latch drop" opening.

2) This placement also easily accomodates a "cross grab". Where the left hand can grab the right side Bali in a forward grip, and visa versa.

Whats your favorite placement, and why???

------------------
Clay
www.balisongxtreme.com
Because......
getting 'em open
is half the fun!

I often stick my bali in my watch pocket, an impromptu kind of sheath, latch end up. Of course, I can only do that when I'm wearing jeans. It sets up a latch drop opening rather nicely.

Since I usually wear an untucked polo shirt, any draw from this position has to be in conjunction with what would be called a "Hackathorn rip", were we talking about 1911's instead of balisongs.

I've often thought of going up the street to Blade-Tech and having them make a little Kydex sheath that would clip into the watch pocket. Anyone reading this, feel free to steal my idea; just be sure to sell one to me.

I much prefer the latch openings, and so, wear the knife on my right side, right handed, with latch end out, usually have the latch unlatched so I can just grip it with my thumb and first finger and drag and open in one smooth move. I normally wear a leather sheath, but that would be only at work as the exposed handles can gather unwanted attention, so when I'm out and about I use an old cloth cocoon sheath.

G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

G2 LeatherWorks

Vertical carry, latch to the rear, right side in generic nylon sheath with velcro closure.

I am toying with the idea of finding a custom kydex sheath maker, and having him make me an open top sheath for belt carry. If the BM42 is light enough (titanium and all that) I might have that same person make me a neck sheath.

Once the BM42 comes out, I think we're going to see some real activity on the carry side of the equation.

------------------
-ramius
"oderint dum metuant"

Personally, I do not consider the latch drop to be a combative manipulation because you don't maintain a solid enough grip on the knife. This would be especially true if your hands were wet or sweaty. As a result, I prefer to carry them horizontally-sheathed right over my hip, tang forward. From here, I can draw the knife by the horns and use a single flip up or a double flip out-to-in opening either of which maintains a very positive grip and neither of which involves pusing the knife down and out where my opponent might attack the knife before it's open.

------------------
Chuck
Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
http://www.balisongcollector.com

FRANK!!!!!!!!!!!........... you're kidding me right????

I just contacted Blade-tech this morning for Concealex and other hardware for a few Balisong sheath's I recently designed. One of which takes advantage of the pants pocket area(watch pocket or regular).

Holy Smokes, what a coincidence!

------------------
Clay
www.balisongxtreme.com
Because......
getting 'em open
is half the fun!

That is a coincidence. I guess it's one of those ideas that is too good to remain unfulfilled. I'd love to see it when you're done.

When I carry a bali (only occasionally), my generic Cordura cocoon sheath goes horizontally just behind the belt loop at 3-4 o'clock. It sits nicely under a jacket or a sweater. Sitting and carrying a backpack (maybe I should get that messenger bag) become a little uncomfortable, however.

Having nearly thrown my knife more than once while practicing latch-drops, I leave the latch closed (but with the overall same orientation, so I can pop it with my thumb for a standard backhand).

When I get my BM 42, I don't know if I'd carry it, since I have an abundant ('bout 5) supply of crap balisongs to use, abuse, and lose.

>>I just contacted Blade-tech this morning for Concealex and other hardware for a few Balisong sheath's I recently designed.
[/B][/QUOTE]

How simple is the design? I get a lot of requests for sheaths. If I had a design to work with, maybe I could get some made up in China or the Philippines. But I would need to give them a pattern to go by.
Thanks, JohnR7

My carry Balisong's are latchless. I have pockets sewn inside my front pants pockets (right rear pocket on tight jeans) that holds the Balisong upright and out of sight for a quick draw. However if you guys get his kydex sheath thing going I can change my ways.

Back