• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Shocking enounter with Neil from TrueNorthKnives

Just a follow-up. Neil must have seen this thread and IP banned me from his site.
What a dick. I've been in my family's business for 20 years. My father always taught me that even when the customer is wrong, it is your job to make them feel as if they are right, even if in some small way. That's how you keep customers and get referral's. With the internet, bad press gets around way faster, and to a much greater audience.

I've looked at their website before, and it is rather archaic, and that turned me off. I will continue to avoid them.

Just a follow-up. Neil must have seen this thread and IP banned me from his site.

Maybe. He hasn't logged into his account since May 28th (before this thread was started), but GB&U is searchable and viewable without logging in (some subforums aren't).

Goes along with him saying he will not sell to you. I believe this is how he does it, and that part doesn"t seem that strange. He has completely rid himself of you.Regardless of justification, it is very effective.

Last edited:
He's not the first dealer to have his head up his nether regions and won't be the last.

I had one ban me from making any further purchases after I took him to task for not doing specifically what I had requested he do prior to the sale...and which he agreed to do...resulting in my having to return a knife for a refund. (And of course he wasn't covering the cost of shipping and insurance.)

There was a longish thread on it some time back. Water under the bridge. I'd rather not deal with individuals who have proven to be less than honorable.

It sounds like he lacks manners and CS skills but there are about a thousand things your businesses credit card processing service will warn you about or outright call you suspicious to the retailer. Certain things about your address and where you order from, issues with the information entered, etc.

Almost certainly he was warned by his card processor and failed to look into it further. He probably believed you were a scammer and has been scammed before in similar situations. When that happens, he loses the product and the money.

when we had our online store, roughly 50% of attempted orders were scammers, btw. We learned to trust our CC processor.

It sounds like he lacks manners and CS skills but there are about a thousand things your businesses credit card processing service will warn you about or outright call you suspicious to the retailer. Certain things about your address and where you order from, issues with the information entered, etc.

Almost certainly he was warned by his card processor and failed to look into it further. He probably believed you were a scammer and has been scammed before in similar situations. When that happens, he loses the product and the money.

when we had our online store, roughly 50% of attempted orders were scammers, btw. We learned to trust our CC processor.

When searching for TrueNorthKnives, one of the first links you get is to his Twitter page. I'm not going to get political here but take one look at his profile and what's written on there and it's quite obvious this individual has manure for brains.

Sorry the OP had to experience such a terrible interaction. Note take to never do business with TNK.

I'm not going to get political here but take one look at his profile and what's written on there and it's quite obvious this individual has manure for brains.
You failed.
Keep politics off BF.

TNK does not deserve our business for objectively legitimate reasons.

Last edited:
You failed.
Keep politics off BF.

TNK does not deserve our business for objectively legitimate reasons.
If you have issues with another member's posts, please use the report button rather than engage them in an off-topic debate.

In case you are not aware it originated in Canada, where he did business for many years. He is now in south Florida, but I am not sure where in the US the business is. I don't believe S Fl., but could be wrong.
He moved there after seeing all the "Florida Man" news reports nightly.

OP, I’m sorry you had a negative experience. I, too, shared my experience with Neil in hopes it would save a few folks from the headache.

If I were a maker, I would never be OK with such a poor-quality representation of my products.

The fact is Neil does not operate in good faith and fair dealing.

I’ve read almost every excuse given on his behalf, and NONE of it excuses his behavior when he wakes up on the wrong side of the bed.

You’d think being in the business for so long would give him some skin on his bones, and he’d learn how to treat customers who spend hundreds of dollars on luxury tools with some dignity. Not Neil from True North Knives.

What goes around comes around.

Eknives included a handwritten thank you note…..which was cool.
Hollow Grind used to include band aids…….love that!

Knife Purveyor sends band-aids and a padded zipper case with a folder purchase if it doesn't already have one. That's nice, but exceptional knives AND customer service are the real reasons I buy from them.

Sorry for bringing back this old thread again but unfortunately it happen to me too. Stay away of this place, they are showing good inventory in stock but save your time and money.
Biggest problem there is this owner/Neil. You can't believe my story, I paid online using Paipal for the one the Chris Reeve knife, it was mid week. Together with the knife I paid $7.50 for Fedex. I was waiting for shipment info next day but instead I got email - you should agree that we will ship with required signature way only. OK, also phone message to call someone about. I called and got on this dude Neil, told him OK if no other option please ship with the signature required, he sounds weird initially. That was Thu, Fri still no shipment. I called this dude and hi said - we are without electricity and will ship Mon, I said Ok sensing something wrong already. He apologised and I said to him - if you can't ship on monday please refund my money.
Monday, got shipment/tracking from fedex, good I was happy. Delivery supposed to be on wed and I was hoping to sign this package, now next is the most interesting part of the story :)

When package was almost near my home! Fedex sent me email that delivery is canceled!!! I called Fedex and they said - shipper cancel delivery and it is returning to him. I immediately open case with Paypal which I used for this payment. Geez!!! In week or so, Paypal send me email that he is returning my money minus $7.50 for shipment!!!!! I said OK and fu.k him.

Weird company, weird owner, I lost $7.50 but I wish him to buy some medicine on this.

I called this dude and hi said - we are without electricity and will ship Mon,
Not paying the power bill tends to have that effect. If he cared at all he could have driven to a FedEx store and shipped it.

Back