Shop floor options? (need to cover concreate.)

K.B. Knifeworks

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey all - looking for shop floor options/recommendations. My 18x20 shop was previously a mancave from the old owners and they had carpets squares on the floor. I have tried everything and cant effectively remove the old glue from the old carpet and its stuck with a death grip on the concreate.

sanding, boiling water, scraping, chemicals and everting in-between has not made a dent. Looking to just cover it now. Hoping for inexpensive recommendations/option's to cover the floor and give me an option to reduce the dust.

Good news is that if it is a shop floor, it's going to get ugly.....
Who cares what it looks like.
Clean up and durability, then safety and comfort should be what you are looking for.

I would just seal it as best I could, and spend the rest of your budget on Lighting.

Good news is that if it is a shop floor, it's going to get ugly.....
Who cares what it looks like.
Clean up and durability, then safety and comfort should be what you are looking for.

I would just seal it as best I could, and spend the rest of your budget on Lighting.
Oh for sure - that is what I am referring to. With the old glue its gummy and I cant sweep the floor or control the dust effectively. Its even in the pores of the concreate. I have a suspicion the previous owner placed the carpet squares before the concreate had fully cured.

I don't know that I can put a sealant over the top of the old glue and wonder if I will have to actually cover it with a top layer of vinyl flooring or something.

Oh for sure - that is what I am referring to. With the old glue its gummy and I cant sweep the floor or control the dust effectively. Its even in the pores of the concreate. I have a suspicion the previous owner placed the carpet squares before the concreate had fully cured.

I don't know that I can put a sealant over the top of the old glue and wonder if I will have to actually cover it with a top layer of vinyl flooring or something.
If you are making metal chips from machining/knifemaking?
a vinyl flooring would be the last thing I'd want.
all those ships would embed into the surface. Not to mention maybe a fire risk?

Ok so update to this just incase someone else has a similar issue someday. The only item that worked was lacquer thinner. Put it on and let it sit for about a min or two then scrape it off. Its not 100% but gets the vast majority off.

I know I'm a little late to the party here but another option is to put down horse stall mats. I have them placed everywhere I stand in my shop. It's easier on my legs than standing on bare concrete. I got mine at Tractor Supply Company.

Back