Short Winter Outing - with Beckers of course...

Pàdruig

Reap What You Sow
Platinum Member
So a few of my buddies and fellow Becker converts decided to venture out on a day trip in the snow. As we all work steady at different jobs, it can be difficult to get us together and venture out of doors on a frequent basis. Our goal on this outing (aside from getting the Beckers together) was to experience more adverse conditions and see if we could still successfully build shelter, make fire, and not be completely miserable.

For those of you familiar with the Pacific Northwest, particularly the Detroit Lake/Breitenbush area and the nearby Jefferson Wilderness, we packed up our gear and headed up to the mountains, driving as far as we could up Breitenbush road (it doesn't get regularly plowed/maintained past a certain point). Once we found a spot to ditch the vehicle where we could safely get it out, we threw our packs on and dove into the woods, hiking a fairly short distance until we found a good clearing with a good supply of fallen timber.

One of my buddies started on his shelter immediately while the rest of us endeavored to get a fire going. It was a nice reminder (not to mention a healthy dose of reality) that building a fire in very wet, snowy conditions with wood that is, at the very least, damp is actually a considerable challenge and requires constant attention and care. We succeeded though and after a bit, we got a good blaze going.

It was a successful outing and despite me losing a fight with my axe, we had a blast. All our knives were able to perform some task or another and as we all know, they did their jobs exceedingly well.

My apologies for not having more pics, hopefully you enjoy the ones I was able to get.

The dudes

G9EtXjr.jpg

Winter Forests, unfortunately you can't see the mountain in the background (too many clouds...)

Anm8AkN.jpg

LQ7V5wH.jpg

We have Fuego!!!

sW2L2nx.jpg

Food prep

z86ozLM.jpg

OWftStw.jpg

The Stars of this beautiful outing

uYSEZRu.jpg

lVtzkx5.jpg

Mqx0cCB.jpg

AND... The gratuitous blood pics. Axe - 1 Myself - 0 (But hey! We got to practice some 1st Aid!)

qp1BQ1h.jpg

dZMmZXy.jpg

Hopefully we can venture forth and conquer again soon. 'Twas a good day.

Looks like a great outing! And some cool knives to boot... Sucks for the axe thingy, but it makes for some cool stories.

Looks like a great outing! And some cool knives to boot... Sucks for the axe thingy, but it makes for some cool stories.

Cool stories indeed, :) Certainly did not deter us from continuing our fun.

Is that a Husqvarna carpenter's axe?

It is! One of my favorites. Has to be one of the best values in axes out there. Kind of like Becker knives, the absolute best bang for your buck!

I kept thinking...wow that looks so cold. Then I saw your hand...that looks painful. Wish you the best of luck healing Padruig!! The location reminds me of that woman on Alone.....

that poor axe!

those poor trees!

hands heal!

Wow that's a lot of Becker goodness you guys took. Looked like a fun outing (except for the axe bite of course).

My mutant genes have kicked in and it is well on its way to healing very nicely. It was a clean, straight, albeit very deep cut that managed to miss tendon and bone.

Regardless, after it was bound up, we proceeded to enjoy the rest of our outing immensely. I hope to do it again soon.

Cool you had first aid gear handy!!! Smart group there! I had a Machete stuck in my bare foot once at camp. So I kinda feel your pain. Lol.

Cool you had first aid gear handy!!! Smart group there! I had a Machete stuck in my bare foot once at camp. So I kinda feel your pain. Lol.

Yikes! That is seriously cringe worthy... Hopefully no adverse long term effects?

Looks like a great way to spend the weekend. Thanks for sharing the pics and stories with us.

Beautiful country in that area! Looks like a good time even with the blood:)

Pàdruig;16738342 said:
Yikes! That is seriously cringe worthy... Hopefully no adverse long term effects?

No I missed everything important. Only if I hit that spot hard I feel it but it's nothing serious. It can happen so fast huh? Mine was so stupid on my part. hope you heal up fast man.

Back