Shortwave Radios

I'm thinking of buying a shortwave radio like a Grundig Yacht Boy. Any suggestions, tips or advice? Any good shortwave sites or forums? Thanks.

Home or outdoor use? I don't know much about the big indoor machines. I have used several small portables.The Grundig YB 300PE is actually surprisingly good in terms or reception and sound, but the elctronics aren't that versatile, and there are a limited number of presets. The best small machine I have is an old, small Sony ICF 100 that isn't made anymore. It has sideband, PLL synthesis synch locking, alphanumeric programmable display, 60 presets, fm stereo, and it'll fit in your pocket. There is a new replacement model but I don't think it's as good, and it's a fortune. The bigger Sony 1000T with built in cassette and timer to record off air is also good, but it sucks batteries dry too quickly.
Whenever I go to the Arctic or down south, the SW I take with is a crappy, cheap little Realistic machine from Radio Shack. It's got manual tuning, which saves batteries, it has stereo fm thru the headphones and reception is surprisingly good, at least away from the cities. You can beat it to hell too.
There are SW and ham fanatics just like knife knuts, but I don't know what sites and forums they frequent. One expensive hobby at a time for me is enough :)

Shortwave addict and radio collector for over 20 years here. Much depends on how large (or small) of a radio you want. Price (and performance) generally increases with size, but performance increases drop off as you go up the price scale.

Sony and Grundig are both top brands. Small but decent models would be the SW7600 (Sony) and the Yacht Boy 400 (Grundig). These are in the $150-200 price range. Larger and more expensive models will give you a little more performance and a lot more sound quality--look at the SW77 and the Satellit 800, in the $450 range. Beyond this is the realm of the non-portable "tabletop" receivers, $1000 and up.

www.dxing.com has a lot of good information, including
receiver reviews.

HJK, the ICF-SW100 is still a current Sony model. I have one, it's a nice set, but a bit delicate and sound output is just enough for one person to hear well in normal conditions. Actually, I generally use headphones with mine.

I'll second the Sangean 909 It's a great radio. My friend Brian and I both got ours about three or four years ago, and they are still going strong. C Crane is great to deal with as well.
--Josh

Looks outstanding, and lots of memory. More expensive than the Grundig, though.
SAS, the new Sony 100 is a bit different than my old dinosaur. I agree about the output, but I always use phones with mine when I can. That's why I got the Grundig.

I've got a Yacht Boy 400 PE and it suits my uses perfectly. Great FM sound, excellent SW reception, and very easy to use. The SSB reception is merely acceptable. But for that I have a table top receiver.
The other radio in this class that you might want to consider is the Sony ICF-SW7600GR
I hear it has better SSB, more memories, but doesn't sound as nice as the 400 PE. Some of the Sangeans also get great reviews.
For a whole lot more, go to the newsgroup: rec.radio.shortwave.
Lenny

HJK, I've had my SW100 a very long time, got it in '92 or '93. I was not aware that they've changed the design. I really like mine, it's the radio I travel with unless it's a long trip, then I'll take something bigger (Drake SW8, AR7030+, Tentec RX320).

Oh, Universal Radio www.universal-radio.com has factory reconditioned Yacht Boy 400 PEs at a pretty good price ($100).

SAS,
I think we have the same model. Allegedly designed for the Prez of Sony with all the bells and whistles he wanted. They discontinued it. Mine stopped working a couple of years ago but i had a techie replace a part [ I don't remember which] and it's been going strong. The new version [at least up here in the Great White North] is a little different, with a base larger than the screen section that folds down.
I'm sure the Sangeen performs better, my reception isn't that stellar at times, but for the size, that old Sony is amazing. I'll be very sorry when it dies for good.

I knew I'd get some good advice here. I'll be using the radio mostly while travelling so I want one that's relatively small and uses batteries.

Check out a book called "Passport to Worldband Radio". It's a very good paperback with reviews and programming info. I love my radio, I just never have enough time to listen to it. I'm just waiting for the day I camp in the mountains and settle in for the night with the radio.

Do any decent SW radios in the <$200 range have an AUX-IN so that I can plug in a portable CD player? I'd buy one in a second if I could find one that had this feature.

Just in case somebody is interested: Radio Shack has the Sangean 909 (which they sell as the DX-398) on sale for $150 from the original price of $250. I think the price is unbelievable for what I hear is a great radio.

Dan

Back