Shotgun slugs??

I've had a hankering to grab me a h&r single shot pardner.. the come with a fixed Mod. Choke.. I was wondering if someone could safely and reliably put rifled slugs through this.. into a pie plate sized target out to about 25-30 yards?
Thanks

I dunno if I could or not...to be honest, I don't shoot mine much because it kicks like a mule. With 2 3/4" slugs, it kicks worse than my mossberg 835 does with 3 1/2" monster magnum rounds.

the 835 is my main shotgun. I have the turkey barrel for it, and a rifled slug barrel.

Some day (Maybe soon), I will get a better stock for my pardner, then I can actually stand to shoot it. (yes, its a smoothbore, so it gets rifled slugs)

It can do that (I have one) but it wouldn't be my choice. The H&R Tracker II has a rifled barrel and is a very good slug gun (I have one of these too). Heed the warnings about recoil, they are correct!

If you're generically asking if a smooth bore and slugs are good enough for that kind of accuracy, the answer is yes, absolutely. That particular combination, I don't know. My experience has been with straight choked guns.

If you're generically asking if a smooth bore and slugs are good enough for that kind of accuracy, the answer is yes, absolutely. That particular combination, I don't know. My experience has been with straight choked guns.

its possible...you just have to find the right slugs to put through the gun. Some guns run certain slugs better than others.

I've had a hankering to grab me a h&r single shot pardner.. the come with a fixed Mod. Choke.. I was wondering if someone could safely and reliably put rifled slugs through this.. into a pie plate sized target out to about 25-30 yards?
Thanks

Hey John I have never shot one of those but have used smooth bore shot guns with a modified choke with good luck I would shoot a foster style slug (of which Winchester is my choice ) and you should have trouble out to at least 50 yards. Good luck. Doug

rifled, yeah.

I would look at pumkim ball slugs.

if you mod the cheap trap loads to a .69 ball, that's still 1500 ft per pounds at the muzzle with the recoil of a trap load. 30 yards dead deer.

Better choices but probably not less expensive, new that is. Guessing that you'll do fine IF you spend some time at the range before hitting the woods to see where you slug hits at various ranges.

I've messed with slug guns for over 50 years but no expert....most will get the job done, some better than others. My current is 20 ga H & R Ultra Slug with Nikon 3-9X Slughunter scope and 2.5# trigger..shoots 3" WW Partition Gold 260 gr sabot at 2000 fps.. like a rifle..best I've owned ..and Not For Sale,LOL.

Biggest advances in slug gun technology, IMHO, have been rifled barrels, sabots, better sight options..and wide availability of great slugs though can cost a few bucks to find the ones that shoot best in your shotgun.

Recoil at the bench still will get your attention but not in the the field..even if improperly mounted those purple, black and blue bruises usually go away in a week to ten(10) days.

Back