Shun Kitchen Cutlery

I was looking into upgrading the cheap chef knife I have and came across Shun Knives. Specifically the SHUN DM0766. Would anyone have any reviews or opinions on the SHUN DM0766, Shun Knives in particular or any other recommendations for a 8" chefs knife or Santoku style knife?

Thanks

I've had a Shun Santoku for 6 years now. It works just fine, though it is over priced compared to other knife like the Tojiro DP line.

The faux-damascus cladding will wear away over time and - frankly - won't look good.

Mostly glaringly, though, is that Shun tends not to have the greatest of profiles (i.e. how the blade is shaped). Although the grinds are, for the most part, pretty good, the profile is the most problematic. The Shun Sora line does a better job (it approaches a gyuto shape) though it still doesn't compare to a Tojiro DP.

If you are looking for something with faux-damascus specifically, then there are other knives that do it better. Al Mar makes some pretty good knives (with better grinds and profiles) and with better faux-damascus.

If you are looking for more performance, then you might take a look at a Hiromoto gyuto if you can handle stainless clad Aogami Super.

I would barely take a free shun.

Their profile (as stated above) isn't great, their handles are very slippery, and their steel is chippy (vg10).

In my eyes, they are at the bottom of Japanese knives.

I've had pretty good luck with my Shun classic knives. They have worn well - and I find the D shaped handles comfortable (and not slippery). The only chipping I have noticed was due to a metal magnetic knife rack my wife installed (exposed metal rails - the chips unsurprisingly, match the rail spacing...). Honestly - they've held up better than my Wustoff and Henckles knives (mid-tier, similar price point). I do not have any Japanese knifes to compare against.

Seven years in I love mine. No problems with chipping here. Daughter has the same knife, users daily and loves hers.

My shun fujis have a sg2 edge. Nearly a year, no complaints. Still looks good though the handle isn't as dark a new. Went with the fugi because it fit my and the spouse's hand. She couldn't get a comfortable grip on the classics. And no one localy had the preimer line to try out.
Good company , lifetime warranty, free sharping for life. Hard to beat that.

Thanks everyone for the information.
As it seems there is quite a mixed review on the Shun knives.
Would there be other notable brands to take a look at?

Thanks

Tojiro, fujiwara, mac, misono are decent brands, not too expensive but trusted by chefs.

Just so you can see that I'm not talking without having owned several:

2013-09-02_13-38-36_776_zpsc0e93086.jpg

It also give a comparison to an Al Mar knife at the bottom. Same steel with better grinds, profile, and it has a better looking handle with cocobolo wood--all for $10 less than the Shun right above it. I also don't get the chipping issues I have with the Shun.

Attachments

• 2013-09-02_13-38-36_776_zpsc0e93086.jpg
    2013-09-02_13-38-36_776_zpsc0e93086.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 6
Thanks everyone for the information.
As it seems there is quite a mixed review on the Shun knives.
Would there be other notable brands to take a look at?

Thanks

There are kitchen knife forums you might check out for more specialized information on kitchen knives. A lot of it comes down to preference for certain things and your price range. The $80 Tojiro DP 210mm gyuto is one of the better "entry level" Japanese kitchen knives. The Gesshin Ginga series is $200+ and highly praised kitchenknifeforums, but everything comes down to preference.

What handle style do you want? What size? Do you want a laser slicer or a knife with thicker geometry for heavier cutting tasks? Are you a home cook or will you be working in a professional kitchen?

There are kitchen knife forums you might check out for more specialized information on kitchen knives. A lot of it comes down to preference for certain things and your price range. The $80 Tojiro DP 210mm gyuto is one of the better "entry level" Japanese kitchen knives. The Gesshin Ginga series is $200+ and highly praised kitchenknifeforums, but everything comes down to preference.

What handle style do you want? What size? Do you want a laser slicer or a knife with thicker geometry for heavier cutting tasks? Are you a home cook or will you be working in a professional kitchen?

I am not sure about the handle style but for size I would be looking at a 6" to 8" and a laser slicer. I am also just a home cook.

I was looking into upgrading the cheap chef knife I have and came across Shun Knives. Specifically the SHUN DM0766. Would anyone have any reviews or opinions on the SHUN DM0766, Shun Knives in particular or any other recommendations for a 8" chefs knife or Santoku style knife?

Thanks
i would suggest you go thru this forum and the related forums and look at handmade American knives made by American knife makers. You will find true one of a kind knives made with care, not mass produced in a factory 12000 miles away. You should be able to find one that competes in price to the mass produced stuff from the Eastern Coprosperity Sphere. JMHO
the old sailor

I just got my first Shun, a 6" utility. Its very nice. The rest of my knives are Henckels, and they aren't bad for what they are (block set).

For home use, I'd suggest the Zakuri 240mm Kurochi finish, in Blue#1 steel. it's a total work horse! here's a pic along side a Gesshin Ginga in White # 2 steel, The Zakuri is on the right & you can see that the blade is a tad thicker. The Blue steel is very easy to sharpen and takes an insane edge,

DSC_0006.JPG

For home use, I'd suggest the Zakuri 240mm Kurochi finish, in Blue#1 steel. it's a total work horse! here's a pic along side a Gesshin Ginga in White # 2 steel, The Zakuri is on the right & you can see that the blade is a tad thicker. The Blue steel is very easy to sharpen and takes an insane edge,

DSC_0006.JPG

That's a very nice pair. I've been thinking of picking up a workhorse gyuto (I currently have a Konosuke HD2 funayuki profile gyuto) and have been eyeing a Zakuri. Does it have good food release?

That's a very nice pair. I've been thinking of picking up a workhorse gyuto (I currently have a Konosuke HD2 funayuki profile gyuto) and have been eyeing a Zakuri. Does it have good food release?

I've never done side by side comparison's. would have to say it's good enough for me, my chopping is no where as fast as some I've seen on u-tube

Back