Sierra912- What knife would you use?

Pretty straightforward.

What knife would you use to take care of a BG in a city where unconcealed carry is NOT permitted (in other words you have to pick a knife to carry concealed)?

Fixed or folder, what blade length, what steel, what blade type, what kind of handle... etc?

We´re talking about taking the BG out for sure not any "submission" cuts or holds. A quick takedown.

Let´s take the legal discussion somewhere else (I belive BF has another forum for that, as I mentioned: I THINK BF HAS ANOTHER FORUM FOR THAT... sorry but discussions concerning discussions like this seem to move over to the legal aspects all the time. So if anyone want´s to discuss laws, feel free to do that - at the other forum).

Looking forward to your insightful views on this topic.

Thanks,

Colinz

I am not Greg, but here is my take on it and from reading some of Greg's posts in the past it is similar to what he thinks (I think, not trying to put words into Greg's mouth).

I think that the knife should be functionally sound and safe for the user. After these concerns are addressed, it comes down to what the user is most comfortable and competent with. This takes everything, INCLUDING LEGALITIES, into account. If someone is comfortable carrying a concealed fixed blade where they are illegal then he does what he must (Greg doesn't agree with this particular point, I do not believe). Basically it is a knife which's attributes are most favorable to the individual user.

agree w/"2" 100% - everyones hands are different, etc

what works for me might not work for you....also i can conceal a REKAT sifu or cammilus maxx pretty easy, many cant, or dont really want to......too heavy/big/etc- so no one knife works for everyone

greg

This question parallels the same one about concealed handgun carry. Some say they would feel safe with nothing less than a full size .45 1911, while others say that big guns are too often left behind and that you should have a smaller, lighter, "all the time" gun. I tend to fall in the latter group whether it's with guns or knives. Although a folding knife will never match a full size, fixed blade fighter, a folder's ease of carry and concealment make it my choice for urban self defense. These folding weapons (I refuse to use the "tactical" term) have come a long way in the past twenty or thirty years, and even some of the cheaper ones I've seen lately are pretty darn good knives.--Leigh

Good question but the Forum is answering it quite nicely, and they have good insight as to my thoughts on this subject.

However, one thing is for sure. I wouldn't carry a box cutter.

Why? Because one should never bring a box cutter to a Jihad:mad:

Are you BGs listening:confused:

My choice for the described task, would be something along the lines of a Mad Dog shrike, with a comfortable handle, 6" long, 1" wide, 3/16" stock [I'd like this instead of 1/4"], double edged blade of 0-1 steel.
Long enough to go deep and do some serious damage, thin enough to be an easy penetrator, and still able to slash and back-cut.

Not that anyone asked my opinion, but:

Jerry Hossom Narc has to be very near perfect. If only it were an inch or two longer blade-wise.

As the devil's advocate, the cheapest, most easily replacable and most numerous POS made-in-pakistan dagger. Easily ditched if neccessary unlike the Narc.

For a folder, same thing in one: Timberline Worden (large version). Big, brutal, well-made, razor sharp, and cheap enough to be disposable. I can't see why these things aren't popular for the cheap tac. folder of choice. Maybe because it doesn't have S30V steel or a fancy patented lock or opening device?

imho the crawford kasper is hard to beat, great ergos for me anyway, darned thing just fits MY hand really well, if i was gonna have to use a folder for serious stuff, this would be the one (the custom version thought the CRKT is ok) the new crawford perfigo w/a 4.5" blade looks promising too, a kasper design also.

as far as fixed i like my polkawski companion, another kasper design - just fits my hand well, good sheath, etc - probably bob kasper and i have hands of similar size 'cuz it seems like everything he makes fits my hand well

just my .02 worth

greg

Hi again,

Well I made the intial post a little provoking, I hope that noone took it in a bad way.

I would like it very much if you guys and girls on the forum could give me some constructive critique / better choices for EDC in a city.

EDC CITY:
Right now I´m carrying a Gunting tip-up. Easy to carry concealed in my right front trouser pocket. Unless it´s cold, then I carry it in my right jacket pocket. Fob hanging out for a fast draw. A little too short blade for winter carry (those down jackets, you know). So I decided to place an order for a fixed blade. It has a chisel ground five inch blade with a zero-bevel edge. It also has a micarta handle with grooves. Better penetration and easier to carry with the concealex IWB sheath.

FIGHTING KNIFE:
I am looking forward to going back doing some national guard type of stuff (I´m no SF guy or anything). So I decided to order two knives that seems very functional. A Strider MT-L and a J. Hossom Retribution. The coice fell on those because I wanted a knife that was a last-ditch fighter and couldn´t decide on wich one so I made an order for both. Nice to have two to rotate. Different philosophies in making fighting knives I believe but with the same result in mind, taking care of BG´s. Both of these are double-edged with a handles that won´t make your hand slip in a critical moment.

I´m going to start training a blade art (Escrima probably) this fall. So I´ve only based my choices on very little practice at home with a guy that did Escrima for a couple of years and the choices are also based on the information I have collected from different forums. That´s one reason I´m looking forward to your comments.

Thanks,
Colinz

Well, in Sweden you`d probably want a plastic handled Mora working knife. Carbon steel preferably. It`s common, cheap and capable. They are easy to carry too, just put them in your pocket, and push the sheath off with your thumb as you draw.

The cheapness of the knife is important, because you need a knife you will not cry about ditching. Cuz the cops im Sweden will fine yer ass if they catch you with a knife, and you don`t have a "good reason" to carry one.

NILS

Nils,

The Frost Mora is a bit too thick for IWB carry in my opinion. I think the handle is even thicker than my Gunting that I carry right now. Using the tumb is very hard (read: slow) to operate, at least for me.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

What´s your opinion on the other knives I mentioned?

/Colinz

check out al polkawski's stuff, try arizona cutom knives, the companion and pug are hard to beat, not too big/heavy, just right for me anyway. i like a fixed blade in the 4-4 1/2 " range personally, unless ya get something really big like 9" or so- just easier to conceal/carry for me

tops makes some good ones, the storm rider i think, were in tac knives a few months ago.

then of course ya got striders.

recently got a greco tanto 5.5 a damned good knife, sheath aint the best, but hey, $75, a lot of knife for the $$ imho

good luck

greg

Colinz, you have ordered yourself some very fine knives. Now I have never handled any of them, but I still envy you. I think they would be just right for all the tasks you mentioned.

About the Mora sheaths, some of the never ones are made to be pushed off with your thum (Erikssons maybe?). But I guess Moras just aren`t the choice for urban EDC (though they`re still nice to have) anyway.

NILS

I would choose either my REKAT Sifu folder or my Camillus Cuda CQB-1 fixed-blade. I have 100% confidence in either one of those knives, but of course, I'd rather have a Glock 10mm in my hand when "it" hits the fan...:).

I like the idea of carrying a non leathel weapon such
as the ASP key defender which is basically a kuboton
with an O/C cartridge inside. In conjunction I carry
an Emerson waved Commander which is excellent for rapid
deployment.

Back