Recommendation? Silverplate platter as spacer material?

DIY

So..
Picked up a large silver colored "Martha Stewart" brand platter at a local Habitat for Humanity store for $2. Possibly silver plate, but no markings on it other than "Martha Stewart India" on the back. I was thinking to use it for spacer material, unless knowledgeable someone tells me otherwise.

As far as the base metal, is there anything I should be worrying about other than galvanic corrosion if I don't seal it?

You're likely to find almost anything under there ! I'd just use nickel - silver or 416 stainless steel .

If it is silver plated, the core is probably some type of brass. If it is just silver colored, then it may be anywhere from stainless to nickel silver. You could cut it up and see what it looks like, but known sheet stock isn't all that expensive.

If it was me I'd probably cut it in half. If it was brass would be easy to tell, and would probably be worth using. I'd just scuff off the plating before using it. If it's Silver color throughout (as I suspect it will be) I'd just toss it. Good chance it's some sort of pot metal, which is the last material I'd use for any application.

Metal suppliers will sometimes have small offcuts and edge trimmings of stainless sheet for free/cheap. Even a 2" wide strip is great for kmifemaking, and this would be a much better choice for budget stainless spacers.

Oh well, will give it a scuff and see. Will also get some known-material for spacers!

Thanks for the info

Stick with known metals & materials is my .02 cents. You want to build a knife & handle that will last long after you are gone!

Back