Simonich Blades in the Amazon

Ravens and Crowfoots in the Amazon :eek: :D

Just got back from a 5 day fishing trip on the Rio Roosevelt in the Amazon basin, the Raven, Urban Raven and Crowfoot went along. This area is accessable only by air unless you want a 400 mile boat ride. As I had thought beforehand, the Crowfoot saw yeoman’s duty; I’ve been carrying the CF for 6 months as a neck knife. What a great little blade! Cleaned fish, cut rope, baitfish (through bones and all) carved an inch and a half splinter out of my foot and served food. I had the native guide use the UR, he fell in love with it. I found the guard provided additional security when the knife was wet with sweat or fish entrails. The ring on the CF proved to be especially handy, as while retying lines it would just dangle from the pinkie finger until needed to trim lines. I didn’t sharpen the knives during the trip, the S30V worked like a champ. The only problem was with rust spots on the Raven, which saw limited use but was wet for 3 of the 5 days, when I returned home, a few minutes with 800 grit SiC cleaned it up with no pits, no problem. If I had taken a little more care I don’t believe there would have been any problem at all.
The Crowfoot and UR where cleaned up each day with fine sand from a handy sand bar, rinsed off and dried on my shirt tail.

I can’t say enough about Rob’s blades, they performed beyond my expectations. I would not hesitate to take em anywhere.

Now Rob, if you would just start building customs again.

Thanks Rob

Oh yeah the fishing was great, we go back in a couple of weeks!
:D

Steve, I am always glad to get field reports, good or bad! Glad everything worked well for you.

I am not surprised anymore 0n the S30-V surface rust. I may try a Jerry Hossom trick and etch the blades slightly to get rid of the dsurface iron and create an oxide layer to improve corrosion resistance.

Rob, I've not found that works that well on S30V. In fact, S30V resists etching amazingly well, which I guess is why it's pretty corrosion resistant. I talked to the Crucible guys who told me I should NEVER using anything with chlorides (like FeCl) on stainless. Seems it sets up some kind of electrolytic process. They suggested Nitric acid. It works well on CPM-3V though and that's 7.5% chrome. It works on 154CM too, but 3 days is a pretty long soak. I've gotta think Bodycote is the answer for the tropics.

As for the fishing trip, I am seriously jealous!! :)

I have been thinking about the surface corrosion I encountered, I did not pay a lot of attention to it at the time but:
It appeared to affect the bead blasted surface of the Raven most. It should be noted that the Raven was not oiled prior to the trip, and was wet for some period of time( 3 consecutive days). It was surface only, no pitting!

Even the Crowfoot with DLC got what looked like rust on the coating itself, but this was removed by just cleaning with fine sand each day.

I have come to the conclusion that the water here is particularly loaded up with minerals (Sodium, Iron, Phosphates…ect) and biological materials hence the surface mineral deposits on the DLC of the Crowfoot. I did not notice any thing on the satin finish of the Urban Raven. Just to satisfy my own curiosity, when we go back I plan on doing the same things with the same knives.

As to the fishing, we caught 10 to 15 lb Peacock Bass on a regular basis every day, swarms of catfish from 30 to 100 lb and a host of 10 to 30 lb gamefish. Damn near everything in these rivers have teeth and are voracious feeders. Steel leaders are required on all baits, even artificial lures.

Great times with good friends!

Cleaning fish with the Crowfoot could have contributed to the corrison if you didn't clean it right away. I believe fish have an enzyme that is very corrosive to just about any steel.

Back