sites on snow/cold survival?

Taking a camping trip soon in New Hampshire. 3 weeks from now actually. Looking for tips on snow shoeing/climbing, and survival tips should the situation turn extreme. I'm still trying to learn how to make fire out of vasiline & cotton balls, and al that more advanced stuff. Seems advanced to me at least, never done some of it...
They're a site on "ways to survive with weird stuff" like that while I'm askng?

Originally posted by Tuff:
They're a site on "ways to survive with weird stuff" like that while I'm askng?

This is the place! LOL
biggrin.gif

In order to use Vaseline soaked cotton balls to create fire, you use them for TINDER! You need a way to create a flame or sparks to ignite them! You just can't use the Vaseline and cotton!
smile.gif

As to the other topics...There was some discussion a few days ago on snowshoeing. Books are probably a better source of hard info, other than asking the questions on the topics on these types of forums. You might want to check your local library within the next week and "read more about it!"
smile.gif

Good luck!

------------------
Plainsman :)
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

You use what you have on you, then you improvise! :)

I haven't been to their site in a while, but you might want to try www.mountaineers.org They also publish some books that might fit what you are looking for. Their books are carried by REI and probably by Eastern Mountain Sports.

Tuff,

Rocky Mountain Survival Group's archives have some good links to cold weather survival <A HREF="http://www.artrans.com/rmsg/regional/aiz.htm">here</A>

Where are you headed?

Off of the Kancamangus, there's a major trail that takes you over a suspension bridge. One of the trails takes you to a decent pond (Black Pond, I think.) Lots of potential for testing/improvising. There are definitely trout in the pond, and on the Pemi.

Have fun!

Mike

Thanks Mike, site looks good.

lol plainsman. I'll remember that

Michael, sounds like the Wilderness trail that runs along an old railroad bed, just outside of Lincoln, N.H. Pretty flat going for about 5 miles in, until after you cross the suspension bridge.

A better view and a slightly more difficult trail into the Pemi wilderness further up north off 302 is the ZeaCliff trail that leads into the Zealand trail. This is a popular one because it goes towards an AMC Hut.

A tougher hike is to get up to Ethan Pond, at the base of of Mt Wiley. Without snow, it's a good 1.5 hour hike straight up the side of Crawford Notch, off 302, to get to the ridge. Once you are on the ridge, the trail goes around the base of the mountain to the western side. Takes close to an hour of walking to get to the pond. There is a primitive lean to and tent platforms at the pond. The site faces west, across the pond, for some spectacular sunsets. The pond itself has some of the best flyfishing for brookies in New Hampshire.

At this time of year and the difficulty of the trail, I doubt you're find many if any folks up there. Of course, if something goes wrong, it's a tough trek in for rescuers...

sing

AKTI #A000356

Back