Skeletool bit driver doesn't lock

Vivi

BANNED
Is it supposed to? I've been carrying a regular skeletool to work the past few weeks and I really like it. However today I noticed the bit in the driver rattling, and I can exchange bits without pushing the tab. The spring doesn't seem to work anymore. If I put a bit in, it's not so loose it'll fall right out, but close. I have to manually close the tab down to secure it, and it pops back up during use. Anyone have a similar experience?

I have the Skeletool CX, My one is only relativley new, and is quite tight still.

Sounds like a possible Warranty claim??

Probably the direction I'll take unless anyone here has advice. I don't like having to be concerned about that exposed bit driver loosing the bit while I'm in the middle of taking something apart.

The tension on the bit is achieved by the spring that is under the release lock. The spring is part of the frame and you can bend it slightly to adjust it if it's loose. Does not usually happen but it's possible. Saw a Leatherman tool designer at BLADE and he fixed a Skeletool someone had on the spot. Nice info to know.

Do you know how to adjust it? Looking at it, it's not readily apparent to me.

EDIT: I saw the spring you were talking about. When I popped it over where it needed to be it would go right back after unlocking the bit driver. I lightly hammered a tiny washer in between the handle and spring and it's doing good with this temporary fix so far.

Last edited:
Back