SKS brush guns.

Not sure if this is the place for this but -

I just picked up two '51 SKS rifles, both from Tula. My intentions were making them into bush guns that I have nearly zero care for. A rifle that can spend the night on the ground a few nights with me. After cleaning them and getting a few rounds through I must say I'm not impressed, not that I was really hoping to be impressed but really. After owning a mini30 these feel like toys, shoot like they are too.

So I'm hoping to squeeze out a bit more from them. I'm here asking you guys, what have you done to your sks without dropping a pile of money into them. Been looking into techsights, new bolt and gas piston, and have been thinking of cutting the barrel at the bayonet post and threading for a not to obnoxious break. Only going to be shooting it at 50 maybe 75 yards I know lots will say it's already fine for that but for wandering minds please share.

Accuracy for the most part yes. Not looking for anything amazing but just to tighten up groupings. Going to buy some better ammo tomorrow evening. All I've used so far was surplus.

Guy by the name of Tom prince (kivaari) did a trigger job on mine, then I swapped out the stock rear sight for a peep sight. Those two changes made the gun much more usable for me, and mine shoots off the shelf remington soft points well enough to be a nice deer rifle.

Make sure to thoroughly clean it if you are shooting corrosive surplus 7.62x39

Make sure to thoroughly clean it if you are shooting corrosive surplus 7.62x39

Will do, they aren't chrome lined barrels either so.
Guy by the name of Tom prince (kivaari) did a trigger job on mine, then I swapped out the stock rear sight for a peep sight. Those two changes made the gun much more usable for me, and mine shoots off the shelf remington soft points well enough to be a nice deer rifle.
Had read a bit of his stuff on the sks boards just the other night. I'll see if I can find what he performs on the triggers. What peep did you go with if you don't mind me asking?

start with the ammo, nothing shoots well if the ammo is inconsistent. Then see how it shoots off sandbags. Its been a while since I shot an SKS but I seem to recall they jumped around weirdly (but again, a while ago) If you can get it to shoot well from a rest, then sights and sandbags are worth while, but if there is something else causing it to chuck lead in odd directions then you'll have to look at other stuff. What sort of performance are you hoping for? minute of moose, or minute of gopher?

A lot of those SKS bores are severely copper fouled. They look dark even after a thorough cleaning. Buy some Sweets Copper Solvent and Butch's Bore Shine. Take it to the range and fire a few rounds to warm up the bore. Then apply the Sweets to the bore and follow the directions. You''ll be surprised how much copper fouling comes out. Then use the Butch's Bore Shine. You may have to repeat the process depending on how bad it is fouled; some are pretty bad.

I have a Norinco SKS, and it was my constant companion on the tractor. It was cheap and ugly enough that I didn't care if it got beat up, and now it looks like it's been through a couple wars.

Mine does not like Wolf ammo, nor Golden Tiger, or the various Bear ammo. But it always shot pretty well with the older Klimovsk hollow points, and the surplus Yugo brass cased ammo (which is corrosive). I've found that it also likes Tula Ammo hollowpoints. The last time I tried to actually shoot a group with it was like 10 years ago. I leaned across the picnic table & couldn't really get a solid rest because of the duckbill mag, but it still kept all rounds in a 5" circle, with the majority of those landing in a 2"-3" group. And that was before I had Lasik, so I could not even see the target, and just aimed for the fuzzy white blob (paper).

I actually found the spike bayonet to be pretty handy. I could just stick it in the ground at any time so I didn't have to lay it in the dirt.

Will do, they aren't chrome lined barrels either so.
Had read a bit of his stuff on the sks boards just the other night. I'll see if I can find what he performs on the triggers. What peep did you go with if you don't mind me asking?

Williams peep sight, have been happy with it.

_20161204_150303_zpsenptcdda.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The sks with bull pup stock belongs to my dad. The AR and sks above are mine.

DSC_0554_zpsaejgsugj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just looked like this thread needed some pics. :)

I have a Norinco SKS, and it was my constant companion on the tractor. It was cheap and ugly enough that I didn't care if it got beat up, and now it looks like it's been through a couple wars.

Mine does not like Wolf ammo, nor Golden Tiger, or the various Bear ammo. But it always shot pretty well with the older Klimovsk hollow points, and the surplus Yugo brass cased ammo (which is corrosive). I've found that it also likes Tula Ammo hollowpoints. The last time I tried to actually shoot a group with it was like 10 years ago. I leaned across the picnic table & couldn't really get a solid rest because of the duckbill mag, but it still kept all rounds in a 5" circle, with the majority of those landing in a 2"-3" group. And that was before I had Lasik, so I could not even see the target, and just aimed for the fuzzy white blob (paper).

I actually found the spike bayonet to be pretty handy. I could just stick it in the ground at any time so I didn't have to lay it in the dirt.
Think the surplus I have may be from Tula but I'm not really sure how to tell?

A lot of those SKS bores are severely copper fouled. They look dark even after a thorough cleaning. Buy some Sweets Copper Solvent and Butch's Bore Shine. Take it to the range and fire a few rounds to warm up the bore. Then apply the Sweets to the bore and follow the directions. You''ll be surprised how much copper fouling comes out. Then use the Butch's Bore Shine. You may have to repeat the process depending on how bad it is fouled; some are pretty bad.
I thought it wasn't chromed but today out in the sun I'd say it and and dirty as a...
I'll definitely try this copper solvent. Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering why it wouldn't have been chromed both the rifles I got came packed in grease never fired after refurb.

start with the ammo, nothing shoots well if the ammo is inconsistent. Then see how it shoots off sandbags. Its been a while since I shot an SKS but I seem to recall they jumped around weirdly (but again, a while ago) If you can get it to shoot well from a rest, then sights and sandbags are worth while, but if there is something else causing it to chuck lead in odd directions then you'll have to look at other stuff. What sort of performance are you hoping for? minute of moose, or minute of gopher?
Lol minute of rotten old stumps. I might crack a couple off at some yotes and small white tail in the season but for the most part it lll be lugged around in the summer to play with and get used carrying a rifle slinged for a couple long term hunts this coming fall.

_20161204_150303_zpsenptcdda.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The sks with bull pup stock belongs to my dad. The AR and sks above are mine.

DSC_0554_zpsaejgsugj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just looked like this thread needed some pics. :)
Nice, thanks it did need some. How do you guys like the stocks? Do they add anything besides looks? Was looking at SGWorks bullpups but that's quite a bit of money for rifles I got for 180 each. Maybe MAAAAAYYBE if I can get some better shooting out of them I may some day grab one of those wood tapco stocks.

If you want a gun to beat up that you don't really care about, then don't go putting a bunch more money into it with accessories. A new bolt won't help its accuracy, and a more expensive stock will make you less likely to carry it for fear of bumps. I see new wood stocks around here all the time for $15. Cutting off the barrel for a muzzle break will only make it louder, and then you still need a front sight.

After you've cleaned the bore, ya need to buy several different kinds of ammo and see which one your gun likes better. These gas guns can be very finicky, and the differences are dramatic. Mine can go from 3" groups to 18" just by switching ammo. If that doesn't do the trick, I'd personally either work up a hand load for it, or sell it & try a different one.

You can Google for images of the factory head stamp to tell who made it. Most of the Russian stuff only comes from a few factories. Vympel, Barnaul, Klimovsk, Ulyanovsk, and Tula.

Might try plugging muzzle end and filling barrel with ammonia liquid??? Do this outside as fumes are badd. Did this years ago to an sks and ak cleaned up barrel wonderfuly.. Be shure to flush with boiling water and the very very lightly oil barrel. Hope this helps Mongo

Nice, thanks it did need some. How do you guys like the stocks? Do they add anything besides looks? Was looking at SGWorks bullpups but that's quite a bit of money for rifles I got for 180 each. Maybe MAAAAAYYBE if I can get some better shooting out of them I may some day grab one of those wood tapco stocks.

I got the sks about 25 years ago for like 89 bucks.The folding stock is longer and alot more comfortable for me than the wood stock that came on it.

I got the sks about 25 years ago for like 89 bucks.The folding stock is longer and alot more comfortable for me than the wood stock that came on it.

Might try plugging muzzle end and filling barrel with ammonia liquid??? Do this outside as fumes are badd. Did this years ago to an sks and ak cleaned up barrel wonderfuly.. Be shure to flush with boiling water and the very very lightly oil barrel. Hope this helps Mongo

Thanks guys

If you want a gun to beat up that you don't really care about, then don't go putting a bunch more money into it with accessories. A new bolt won't help its accuracy, and a more expensive stock will make you less likely to carry it for fear of bumps. I see new wood stocks around here all the time for $15. Cutting off the barrel for a muzzle break will only make it louder, and then you still need a front sight.

After you've cleaned the bore, ya need to buy several different kinds of ammo and see which one your gun likes better. These gas guns can be very finicky, and the differences are dramatic. Mine can go from 3" groups to 18" just by switching ammo. If that doesn't do the trick, I'd personally either work up a hand load for it, or sell it & try a different one.

You can Google for images of the factory head stamp to tell who made it. Most of the Russian stuff only comes from a few factories. Vympel, Barnaul, Klimovsk, Ulyanovsk, and Tula.
Yea definitely not sinking much money into anything besides sights and by that I mean peep sight such as a tech sight that just mounts rear of the receiver. Will have to play with different rounds.

Back