slash vs thrusts?

a knife will always be used for more than just slashing and thrusting... it is generally understood that for one to be lethal in intent when using a blade, a thrust is preferred... the reason being that the vital targets lie deep within the body... slashing may or may not bring about death rapidly...

it is a mistaken belief to think that it is easy to slash someone across a critical target, especially if the target is resistant to being slashed <grin>

knives will be more often used for utilitarian purposes, therefore, my own opinion on a combat blade is one that has a useful profile for generalized cutting, while the profile also allows for ease in penetration...

ways to do this are tapering of the blades, the way the grinds are done on the blade, higher grands over more of the width of the blade allow for deeper and more precision cuts over a greater depth, and blade length as well.

just my own .02 hope that helps...

sincere respects to all, Jeff Chung/NY~~Sayoc Kali!
http://JeffChung.com

sorry, gang... i meant this to go under the thread started by Mr. Hossom... i was too tired... this was to contribute to point vs. edge
<sheepish grin>

Back