Sleeping when wet

Me and my bro were on this camping trip in the winter about 14 years ago, it was snowing heavily and we pitched the tent in a sort of trench, between these trees in about a foot of snow. At around 4:00a.m. we awoke to find water getting into the tent it was freezing and we were not gonna move, after about half an hour of more and more water coming in we worked it out, the snow had started to melt and we had camped in a bloody tributary!

The plan was to only sleep on one side to keep the other side dry, we had Hollofibre sleeping bags which retain their heat when wet so that was one good thing, there was no way of moving as the snow had now turned to sleet and we were too cold and tired, anyway I put the sleeping bag over my head and went back to sleep I was wet but warm. I kept waking up to turn around but instantly was reminded of the dilemma, more water had been coming in freezing water half of my body was soaking, it was getting harder to fall back to sleep but once asleep you'd forget about it.

Finally we woke up to daylight the tent was now a pool about three inches deep, it was to cold to sleep any longer and we were both shivering too much to stay in it, so out we got my boots and my socks were dry and my jacket, I'd only used over the top half of my body (knowing that I'd need it), my bro asked me "what do we do now?" I said "LEG IT" we ran up down and around this mountain for about half an hour, it done the trick we then packed up the tent and hiked back to the bus stop 5 miles away, that warmed us up!

Motto of the story:
Always camp on the highest ground!

------------------
Nembo...

Hi Nembo...

In Ron's Vol#2 Survival Shelters, he shows you how Not to do this..
smile.gif

It can happen though..LOL

Eric...

------------------
Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical
http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel

Yes...site selection for a shelter is very important. There are many stories of people dying in similar situations. Going to sleep wet and never waking up.

A good site should avoid all hazards: widow makers, animal trails, avalanche hazards, etc. etc. and be in an area that is close enough to the resources you need.

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

Back