small vs large Sebenza

I have finally gotten together the cash to purchase a unique Sebenza. The question that is haunting me now is: Should I buy the large or small version (I plan to use the Sebbie as an EDC)? The small seems to be a univeral EDC that would be legal most anywhere. The large would enable me to tackle tougher tasks and would be more formidable in a defensive situation but illegal many places - concealed. Can anyone comment on which model you carry and why. I just dont want to regret my decision after such an investment.

Thanks, Dave Halliday

You will probably get an even number of opinions each way. I carried a large exclusivly for six months, then I went back to a small.

For me a small could do everything I need an EDC to do, and it's a lot more convient.

Large exclusively! Had a nice small Classic with ironwood inlays for all of 2 days. Just couldn't get any feeling for the smaller ones. Been told it's because I am compensating! Some kinda Freudian complex or other!:eek: :eek: :D

The small Sebenza is probably best for most tasks except wilderness survival. For hiking and survival I'd prefer the large - other instances I prefer the convenient size of the small.

Small does it for me. Had a large briefly but it was too big for comfortable daily carry.

I carry a small Sebbie without the clip attached. It is light and rides well in my pocket. I carry my keys and change in the other pocket though. I also have a large Sebbie that I like to carry in a CRK knife pouch when I'm in the woods.
Jim

LIKE MOST SEBBIE OWNERS WE HAVE MORE THAN ONE CHOICE.YOU'LL SEE WHY:D I WORK IN THE RETAIL MEAT BUISNESS SO MY EDC IS A LARGE TANTO.THE CUTTING THAT I DO MOST OFTEN IS A THRUST AND SLASH FOR LARGE PRIMAL BOXES SO A TANTO IS A LOGICAL CHOICE.FROM WHAT I'VE READ ON YOUR POSTING I WOULD GO WITH THE SMALL REGULAR FIRST.BUT WHAT EVER CHOICE YOU MAKE YOU'LL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED, AND IT WILL NOT BE YOUR LAST. :) PEACE OUT!!!

I have both. I prefer the small, which I feel to be more suitable for everyday carry. They're both great, though.

I've had four of them (2 Large and two Small). I tried to like the small, I really did, but it was too, um, small , for my hand. I just couldn't find that little handle comfortable. I have one Large, plain now. The Large isn't really that big IMO. I carry it to work in Dockers, clipped to the pocket. Never get any questions. It's not too heavy. I just like it better. It's all subjective. I think you'd be surprised at the size difference between them if you could handle both of them. I just think of the small as a "gent's knife". Just my .02 which won't get me a cup of coffee from anyone who really knows me!
Good luck,

Leo G.

I've had four of them (2 Large and two Small). I tried to like the small, I really did, but it was too, um, small , for my hand. I just couldn't find that little handle comfortable. I have one Large, plain now. The Large isn't really that big IMO. I carry it to work in Dockers, clipped to the pocket. Never get any questions. It's not too heavy. I just like it better. It's all subjective. I think you'd be surprised at the size difference between them if you could handle both of them. I just think of the small as a "gent's knife". Just my .02 which won't get me a cup of coffee from anyone who really knows me!
Good luck,

Leo G.

I own both large and small classics and carry them both. The small is used M-F where it fits well in the office environment. I carry my large on the week-ends where I tend to do harder work. One great thing about even the small Sebenza is I'm never afraid to really USE the knife. It gives use a sense of security/strength that very few small knives can duplicate.

I also use the small Sebenza as EDC for the office and evenings after work.

The large is preferred for outdoor work on the weekends.

The Sebenza will ruin your folder collection, the rest of the knives just do not get carried much.

I also sold off most of my custom folders, no comparison for design and quality.

Regards,
FK

I found that the Small Classic was a bit too bulky for "gent's" carry, so I carry other knives for this category.

For sturdier work outside of the office, the Small is just too small, as I prefer a larger/longer blade. Take the clip off, and the large fits perfectly into the change pocket of most jeans. If I am wearing shorts, I put the clip back in and carry it IWB.

So recommend the large, my preference being the large classic. Another advantage of the large is that it will give you more surface area if you are springing for the graphics.

I traded away my large plain classic, but have my eye on a large classic with leather inlay.

Carried my small everyday for 2 years. Never found it to be too big or too small, just perfect. I've handled a large and its to big for me.

The small just works for me! I have carried it every day since I bought it about 8 months ago and it is the best EDC ever. Legal, easy to carry, and very, very nice. Most prefer the large for the outdoors, but I usually carry a FixedBlade or Fully serrated Spydie when I am camping or working outside.

I reckon your question should be 'which Sebenza do I buy first?' , which ever one you get you will end up buying the other in the end to go with it .
I've been there , I know it is so .
If you are going to get only one for now then I would go with a small, a small regular in my pocket now, the large is too big to carry in my working environment .
Enjoy whichever one you decide upon.
Paul.

If you have the money for a unique Sebenza, go with a large regular one. If your hands are medium to large, this will be the perfect size. You don't want to get the small and then deside it's too small! The large regular has a great utility blade, given the wide blade profile and slightly shorter length than the classic. With the addition of swedge cut into the top of the knife makes for great penatration and EDC work. I've carried and used both large and small, and have settled on the large. The small is a great knife, don't get me wrong, I carry it from time to time, but the large just fills the hand perfectly and works just a little harder. You shouldn't find it too big at all. Good luck;)

I decided on buying a Large regular Sebenza. It arived from KnifeArt today. What a wonderful tool. This is the smoothest, sharpest knife I own - bar none - love it. I think you are right I will be saving my pennies for a Unique Small Sebenza. But first I will get the Spyderco sharpmaster 204 (unless someone can recommend a better sharpening tool. Also a belt holster of supple leather that can be mounted sideways (who makes the best of these?) and the Florinated grease for the pivot pin. Thank you all for your help thus far; you have made me a happy camper.
Dave Halliday

PS. Has anyone used the sharpening paper wheel system on a Sebbie? I have this set up in the basemant but am hesitant to use it right away on the Sebenza - comments??? Are there any other accessories anyone can recommend? Thanks, Dave

I find the large Sabenza perfect for easy and safe opening of the blade. The small one is a bit too small in this regard - the pivot circumference along with the length of the handle makes it harder for me to open easily.

I don't mind the weight - I think of it as "hardy", the blade length allowance around here is 4" max, which the large Seb fits into.

If you have a smaller legal limit, then definitely get the size that suits that legal requirement - because you'll want to have the Seb with you almost all of the time.

All I've ever used is the 204 and had great results. The flourinated grease is a good investment and should last a long, long time, unless you have a teenage son who is car crazy and uses it to lube a hinge or two!

We have two of best leather makers here on the forums. Dave Abrahmson aka Lifter4Him and Gary graley aka G2 make the best of the best in leather for sebbies.

You did a good thing when you bought that Seb. You have just saved a BUNCH of money that you would have spent on inferior folders in search of the perfect folder. Only problem is now you will be spending money to acquire more SEBBIES.

Just like Lay's chips.........one IS NOT enough!!:D :D :D

Back