Recommendation? Smaller bushcraft knife?

Hello, I am new to bladeforums.com. I am looking for a bushcraft knife with a blade roughly 3-4 inches long, and 3mm or 1/8" thick (preferably carbon steel). I would be willing to spend up to about $250 CAD or $190 US. I own several beefier blades including the Tops Fieldcraft which I love. However, I find myself using knives less for heavier processing tasks and instead use my GB small forest axe.Therefore, I need a knife for more intricate work that the axe falls short in. I would prefer a scandi grind, but it isn't necessary. Aesthetics are secondary to me, but something with a more traditional look would be preferable. Any suggestions would be appreciated, even if they do not fall into these parameters.Thanks. P.S. I own and love two moras, but I have the money for something more expensive so this would exclude them.

Fiddleback production Hiking Buddy 3.2" just under $200. Fiddleback production Kephart just over $200 3.5". Fiddleback production Bushfinger just over $200 3.9"

There are some great knives that fit your mission profile but the Becker BK16 will do all that you ask this knife to do except perhaps look fancy. 1095 CroVan works as does the heat treat and blade shape; it just may not be as pretty as some of the other offerings.

People recommending knives they like will not help you too much. Go to a local store and try some out so you have an idea of what eels good in hand. Or even better borrow a friends and use it in the woods to see if you actually like it.

Kephart.

Here's an LT Wright Knives Next Gen:
LTWK%2520Next%2520Gen%2520Iron%2520Wood.JPG

Condor Kephart:
Condor%2520Kephart.JPG

Russell Belt Knife was mentioned too, so Grohmann DH Russell #3:
Grohmann%2520%25233%2520CAF%2520%283%29.JPG

The 4 inch Kephart pattern would suit the bill I would think

Always check out the exchange here, great knives at some decent prices. The Kephart has always been a jack of all trades, basic style that works. I have a LT Wright Bushcrafter HC, feels good in the hand, thin blade, and a reasonable price for the quality you get. If you want a smaller blade, they now make the Bushbaby HC too.

Last edited:
People recommending knives they like will not help you too much. Go to a local store and try some out so you have an idea of what eels good in hand. Or even better borrow a friends and use it in the woods to see if you actually like it.

Or better yet, get to Atlanta for BLADE 2017. :)

Knives, like other items of personal attachment are often best chosen by picking the one that smiles back at you when you look at it.

Helle knives. They're all scandi grind, have triple laminated steel, carbon steel, or stainless blades. And they're all very traditional style blades

Enzo trapper? Variety of steels, handle materials, and grind. Buy finished or build from a kit. Well under your budget. I have one in O1with a scandi and I like it alot.

Back