Smaller Military

I hope this new Military will be retaining the 440v blade and the G10 handle materials....

Hello,

I thought the Starmate was a smaller military. ;-)

Great news, but we are going to be really impatient now !

Cheers,
JM

Sal - I'm sold, where do I get one? What, you mean they're not available yet? I think you have a sadistic streak in you. You tell us this great ideas and then watch us suffer. You can be such a bad person.
wink.gif

------------------
I claim this mouth in the name of, Incisor.
Not so fast!
Bicuspid, so we meet again.
(Family Guy)

Sal,

A "wedge" lock? Hmmm... Why not stay with a liner lock? Or are they similar?

Just my .02; I fell in love with liner locks when I handled my first CQC-7. I sold all my Spydercos and was a BenchMade fan until the Military came out. I have two (and it took a bunch of BenchMades to consummate THAT deal, but it was worth it!<G>), but it is just a tad too large for everyday carry. I'm waiting on my local dealer to cough up a StarMate (we trade stuff, which is why I haven't ordered one), but a smaller Military would be the cat's meow for me; IF the lock worked like the original.

All these fancy new locks, etc., are interesting, but I'm a cop and believe firmly in the KISS principle for duty gear. So, make the small Military with a liner lock; PLEASE???

Steve

Steve - Simple is great. Linerlocks are not simple. Not to make so they reliably won't defeat. Actually, they require great accuracy to make properly.

I think that we've take the linerlock pretty far for production. And we certainly won't do away with all of them. But there are new locks that offer strength and safety, and we must taste them all. That is how we will ensure that the ELU are getting the best product we can produce.
sal

Sal,

Ok, I hear you. But I was thinking from an operator's standpoint, not a manufacturing one. I have heard the tales of guys folding them back on their fingers while sparring, etc. But I don't use it for fighting; I have firearms for that. The Military has the slickest-opening action I have ever used, and it also a very sturdy knife. It is the only blade I carry now for SWAT ops (unless we have to go into the woods), and I would really like a smaller one just like it for everyday carry.

So, what is the "wedge" lock like?

Steve

Large hole - G10 - 440V - one of the new locks. sal

Damn! Just when I thought I was getting caught up on purchases!
frown.gif

Steve, ever tried a axis lock or a rolling lock? Pretty simple, IMO, from a user standpoint. Very reliable. Safer than a liner (never have to put your thumb in the path of the edge; heck, if you do it right, you never even have to touch the blade to open or close, but you never heard me say that
wink.gif
) Give one a test drive.

------------------
Work hard, play hard, live long.
Outlaw_Dogboy

Outlaw-Dogboy,

Nope, never seen either. Its not that I'm against something different or something new; but I would prefer to keep all my blades with the same operating mechanism. The Military is my SWAT and "heavy duty" folder; that's a given. The older model Endura I'm carrying now is quite satisfactory as an everyday knife; but it is a lockback. If I have to stay with two systems, I'd just as soon keep what I have. If my dealer can ever come up with a StarMate, the question is moot. But the thought of a smaller Military sure was tantalizing...<G>

Steve

Steve,
I may have come across a little strong. Didn't mean to. It's just that, reading your post on what you do with your Military (it's your SWAT knife, but not used for fighting; I would assume that to mean that it is your "heavy duty" knife, but that you're not concerned with getting it open quickly and under heavy stress), it is a utility knife, and the biggest concern would be reliability. IMO, the axis lock, the rolling lock, and variations thereof, are going to be utterly reliable, not to mention strong. Stronger than the Military? Who knows.

Of course, one advantage the Military in it's current incarnation has over any of the others that I know of is its apparent ease of use with gloved hands/fingers, which I would assume you have in a SWAT situation. Hmmmm... guess I talked myself into your corner on the Military, for your applications. Too bad that REKAT went with the side slide, instead of the front lever. 'Course, the Military has that goshaweful 440V blade....

------------------
Outlaw_Dogboy

Hmmm, smaller version of the Military with a Wedge Lock? Sounds like something waiting to be named Delta Force... or maybe just "The Delta" to avoid offending other special ops groups.

Heh, with a Military blade shortened that much, it'll end up pretty triangular -- "Delta" would be a pretty apropriate name in any case.

FWIW, when I first read Sal's description, it reminded me of the Pygmy ATAK for some reason (tough little do-anything knife, shortened version of something larger).

-- Carl

Outlaw_Dogboy,

You hit it; the big hole is why I really like this blade. Try to open any other folder quickly while wearing sweaty nomex gloves; it ain't happening. And getting it open quickly IS important, as is easy one-handed closing..

What's wrong with the Military's steel? I have abused mine a reasonable amount; the 204 restores the edge quickly, and it hasn't rusted. And I've sweated all OVER that puppy, believe me...

You a K-9 guy?

Steve

Steve,

What I meant by "goshaweful 440V blade" was that it is great, from all I hear. I'm dead set against liner-locks (it's a personal thing), so I don't own a Military yet. I do have the BF Native, with the 440V blade, and it performs pretty well.

Actually, I'm not in law enforcement. However, in contrast to what my pseudonym may imply, I have the greatest respect for you guys. The "outlaw..." is a result of my days in Test Pilot School with the Navy aviators. Everybody who is in naval aviation, or works with pilots, gets a "call-sign", with few exceptions. The "dogboy" comes from the fact that I own a Rottweiler that I got as a puppy, and put a lot of time into training and caring for, while I was in TPS. (Sorry, I digress)

The reason that I clued in to the fact that the hole would work so good with the gloves is that I had to wear nomex gloves while flying, and carried a BM Ascent. Even the hole in the Ascent, which isn't exactly small, was hard to manipulate with the aviator's gloves. Wish I had known about the Military then; I might own one now if I had, since I would have had an excellent reason to buy one.

------------------
Outlaw_Dogboy

Any news on delivery dates, etc?

------------------
Runs With Scissors
AKTI# A000107

First, all of the post did not appear, now I am getting a duplicate that will not delete. This is as bad as the first time my computer refused to turn off when I clicked the power switch. I started to hum the theme to the Twilight Zone, but physically pulling out (unplugging) the power cord worked!

[This message has been edited by Donald (edited 20 September 1999).]

Back