Smallest SAK with a saw and plier?

Macchina

Gold Member
I really want a pocketable tool for hikes with my girls. I have a full drawer of Leatherman, Gerber, and Victorinox multitools but they are very bulky (the smallest tool I have with a both is a modded Leatherman Bond with a saw but it is still twice as big as a 93mm Vic Alox Farmer...

Is the smallest really the Tinker Deluxe?

Modded Bond:
IMG_9600.jpeg

It’s still about twice as big as a farmer (hard to tell from this angle, LOL):
IMG_9603.jpeg

Yes, I think Deluxe Tinker is the thinnest 91mm SAK with pilers, that is still currently being offered.

Personally, I would recommend the combination of a SAK and a Knipex Cobra XS; to some extent, it works even a better than an all-in-one MT solution.

They are harder to find now that they are discontinued, but a Leatherman Juice CS4 might answer your needs. It's certainly more pocketable than any full-size Leatherman.

I really want a pocketable tool for hikes with my girls. I have a full drawer of Leatherman, Gerber, and Victorinox multitools but they are very bulky (the smallest tool I have with a both is a modded Leatherman Bond with a saw but it is still twice as big as a 93mm Vic Alox Farmer...

Is the smallest really the Tinker Deluxe?

Modded Bond:
View attachment 2270095

It’s still about twice as big as a farmer (hard to tell from this angle, LOL):
View attachment 2270096
That's how they should have made the bond! Even better if they switched the can opener to scissors but that personal opinion.

Look at the evo s557. On 85mm frame.
& could add walker for saw. I have the lumberjack.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, you could carry an 84mm Victorinox Walker. It's two layers with a saw, knife, and combo tool. But it has no back tools, so there is no awl or corkscrew/phillips. You could then pair that with a set of small pliers.

I would not suggest the Cobra XS for outdoors because it corrodes pretty easily, which is a little strange for something that's designed to be able to grip around pipes. You'll need to be diligent about keeping it dry. It's a good plier though. I have several of them. One thing about them is that the teeth are super aggressive and they can and will destroy nuts and bolts if you're not careful with them.

The 91mm Victorinox Camper or Hiker models are both 3 layers. They have a primary and secondary blade, a wood saw, can opener, bottle opener, awl, and either the corkscrew or phillips driver depnding on which model you choose. You could carry one of those and pair it up with a set of small pliers.

There's also the 93mm Victorinox Farmer. It's an Alox model, so it has aluminum scales instead of the plastic. You don't get a toothpick or tweezers, and there are no back side tools, but you get an inline awl, a thicker main blade, wood saw, and the can and bottle openers which are also a bit thicker.

Sorry but there really isn't a small SAK with pliers except for the old rare and discontinued Jr. Mechanic. It was two layers with pliers, a knife, and the combo tool. It also had a back side phillips driver. No saw though.

If you really wanted it badly enough, you could either have a custom SAK built with the tools you want, or you could try building it yourself. It can be done. I'm thinking you'd want a 3 or 4 layer 91mm custom SAK with the pliers and the wood saw.

Last edited:
You guys got me all excited about the Walker, it looks awesome but alas no tiny plier. I do have a pleathora of plier-based multitools, but am specifically looking for a SAK with the pliers built in with a saw.
I have a Juice, and it is nice, but no saw on the model I have.

The "perfect" option would be something like the walker but with the mini pliers....

Another advantage of a small pair of channellocks with your sak is the fact that you can use them independently. Most of the time ive had to tighten a screw or bolt, theres been a nut on the other side of it that needs to be held.

Exactly, Williamrage. Last year I went to tighten a patient parking sign for my chiropractor that was rattling in the wind. No problem I thought, pulling out my old Leatherman Super Tool from the glove box. But there was enough rust on the nut and bolt that I couldn't hold the nut and screw the bolt in. Screwdriver and pliers on the Leatherman, but not at the same time. Luckily, I also had a P-51 in the glove box that I used as screwdriver to tighten things up. Now I also keep my $2 salvaged Vic Alox Pioneer in the glove box. I've posted it before in Thrifty Thursdays. I'm thinking of adding a vintage pair of Cee Tee Co. pliers. (Crescent) Because sometimes you just need two pairs of pliers.

The advantage (for me) the Leatherman has over a lot of others is the needle nose pliers. I find that incredibly useful in a bunch of different situations. It's the only reason I like the Leatherman over the Swisstool or the Tinker line. Gotta have that thin tip.

I gotta say, that SOG does look interesting....

I run a couple of the sogs, they are the best pliers you get with a multi tool (in my opinion as a mechanic). I have the Powerpint and it is indeed small. I carry the full size daily and use it constantly. I use it for the pliers 98% of the time. The thing about the sog other than the pliers is the easy open. It flips open like a balisong.

The thinnest SAK with both pliers and the wood saw is the Hoffritz LE. It’s 5 layers with the magnifier/phillips. So not that thin, and unfortunately rare at 2,000 serialized units. Deluxe Tinker has no saw.

I think a mod would be worthwhile in this case to have these two paired in a slim knife. Adding the saw to a Mechanic, DT, or a Techline…or stripping down a Champ might be easiest.

Back