Snapped a grub screw! :(

frown.gif
I've been accused of this before, and it's definitely my fault. I was trying to tighten one of the grub screws after opening up my SIFU to get rid of some fish scales stuck inside and grease the pivot area at the same time. It snapped. Now I have a small part of it stuck in the socket.

How can I go about ordering or getting the grub screw and socket?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't got any answer on this forum. Posted on the general forum and they asked me to try here or send an email. Tried sending email, but no reply there either. Not sure if I got the email address right, though. Is this the correcte address?(taylor1@easynews.com)

Can anyone help? Please?

I have a different E-mail address than you do. Try brothers@plix.com or roundeye@nidlink.com . The first address is for Bob Brothers, the second is for Christina Montero. The telephone number I have laying around here for REKAT is (208) 265-8858. I hope this helps you get you Sifu
replacement screw. Let us know how it turns out.
smile.gif

------------------
A Pat on the Back is only a few inches from a Kick in the Butt.

Well, I sent an email to brothers@plix.com on 22 of April and have heard no reply at all, both here on the forums or thru email. I got caught up with some other stuff and lost track of time, but now with a few minutes on hand, I think I'll try emailing the other address.

I'd like to hear feedback on REKAT customer service also. Just bought a Sifu -- great knife and now my every day carry. It would be reassuring to know how well REKAT backs up their products.

(About one month ago, I sent in a Benchmade AFCK for warranty repairs because the liner lock spring tension was weak, and they sent me a new knife within two weeks.)

Just wanted to dredge this up again because I have not heard from anyone at REKAT so far. Maybe it's because I'm so far away in the land down under that it makes communications hard.

I've emailed a couple of times, but haven't been desperate enough to start calling. Yep, to all the addresses that have been given to me. So... anyone have a suggestion on what to do next?

BTW, any ideas when their website will be up?

hi - no idea about website - i had some work done, and had no probs contacting bob at the brothers@plix.com, - he em'd me back w/in 24 hours - dont know what is wrong for ya - try calling, i would - i have had excellent luck w/them, no complaints what so ever - they are good people - so keep trying, something is up i guess.....

SIFU

I've just sent off another email. Will let y'all know how it goes. Heard so much about their wonderful customer service, but I understand the difficulty with dealing with an overseas customer.

I checked with Chris her records show that we have sent screws to you three times they were all sent in padded envelops, I have no idea why there not getting to you.
Our only option maybe for you to find one locally. The screw size is a 2 with 56 threads per inch (2-56) this is a common screw size in the industry. You may be able to get one off another knife but you will probably have to shorten it.
Bob Brothers

What in the world is a "grub" screw? All of MY REKAT folders have "Torx-head" screws.
smile.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

I'm really sorry to drag this thread up again. I just realised that I never thanked Bob or Chris for their attempt to help me out with this, even though it was my fault. So... Thank you
smile.gif
Haven't yet had time to try and find the screw though.

Yep, the screws never arrived and I would really like to find out why. I emailed Bob, but there was no reply, and I don't blame them. It wouldn't be easy or worthwhile tracing what happened to 3 envelopes containing screws worth less than a dollar. But I just had a thought. 3 thoughts really.

One, that the package ended up in Washington State USA, as that has the same state code as Western Australia, ie WA.

Two, the package was sent by surface mail. A forumite from another forum tried to send me something but sent it via surface mail. 2 months have passed and still no sign of it. It might still get here.

Three, it is languishing somewhere because the WA, USA vs WA, AU thing may have confused whomever was sending off the package and so insufficient postage was paid for it to make the crossing. And perhaps no return address was included. In this case, it is probably in some room somewhere, doomed to spend it's last days collecting dust until the postal office decides that there is too much junk lying around and throws it away. We should probably try and find this room. May have some good stuff in it. Maybe even all those knives "lost" in transit.
smile.gif

Glockman99: Grub screw refers to types of screws that have a standard diameter through its entire length so that it can be screwed in till it is below the surface, without having to drill a countersunk hole. ie, there is no head to the screw. It is not technically accurate in this instance because there is a head, but the description usually suffices for a small, tiny screw as well. BTW, the screws on my Sifu are hex socket (Allen-key) type.

Steelwolf, e-mail me your address and I'll drop a grubby screw in the mail for you
biggrin.gif

I've got a couple of spares now and would be happy to send you one if that's all you need.

I'm assuming you need one of the small hex screws for the slabs?

Let me know.

------------------
Banner.JPG

Edited to add: Holy smokes, I just realized you live on the other side of the world!

Please send a SASE for $45 and I'll get it out to you
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by cpirtle (edited 06-26-2001).]

Back