snaring fish

What's your experience in snaring fish?
What materials did you use and how did you
approach fish?

------------------
http://www.imt.net/~goshawk
Don't walk in tradition just because it feels good!!!!!
Romans 10:9,10
Hebrews 4:12-16
Psalm 91

I use nets or fish traps.

Most of the nets I have made from parachute innercore.

Fish traps are made from natural sturdy stick which are placed in the water so that fish swim in to a cage but not out. (BTW, these are illegal). Place sticks so they create a funnel shaped entrance and then a stick cage (making sure the sticks are close enough to trap the fish once it enters the funnel). This system is similar in concept to the bee traps used by so many people.

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

I saw a nifty technique on, of all unexpected places, a cooking show on PBS. According to the show, in parts of England costal dwellers would wait until low-tide and anchor a line parallel to the water at the low-tide mark, usually just prior to dusk. In this case the distance between the low and high tide mark appeared to be 100 yards or more. This line (rope actually) appeared to be about 150+ feet long, had baited hooks attached every 20 feet or so, and was anchored in the mud at either end. When the tide made a full cycle (12 hours) the lines were checked. In this case, only one sizable fish was caught. I've spent lots of time fishing on the coast, and until I saw the show, the thought never occurred to me, duh! I'd be willing to bet that this sort of fishing is illegal just about anywhere in the US, especially here in New England. Just goes to show that you can get some good ideas in unexpected places.

Hi:

Not fish exactly but Pacific lampreys. These are large lampreys up to a couple of feet long. They come into the rivers to spawn.

I caught them with a pole with snare loop on the end for dissection. When spawning they just hang onto rocks with their sucker mouth and are easy to collect. OK to eat too.

Jimbo

Back