So how many 778SS Miracle Whips have you got?

Described in Jim Sargents 2nd Edition as "Uncle Henry's Trapper" page 404 the small stainless silver 778SS was a popular 'giveaway' celebrating anniversaries and promoting Commercial interests.
Attached: 6 Anniversaries.
25th Anniversary Miracle Whip in 1958 by Schrade Walden.
30th in 1963 S.W.
35th in 1968 S.W.
40th in 1973 Tang Stamp still Schrade Walden
45th in 1978 by Schrade also on reverse celebrated Kraft 75th Anniversary.Tang Stamp Schrade N.Y. USA SS778.
50th in 1983 by Schrade N.Y. USA
The 50th was the only one issued minus a bale.
Question: Does anyone know if the 1958, 25th Anniversary was the first issued and also if the 1983,50th Anniversary was the last issued?Any other history on these issues?
The other 2 knives featured is a Red Devil 778SS and the other an early Schrade Cut Co Ring Opener for comparison.
Photos not brilliant as I find Stainless Steel knives the hardest to get the light right as they are so reflective.
Hoo Roo

Last edited:
I got one, a '63, I think.

Nice collection, Larry...

Glenn

The 1988 55th anniv did have a bail.
They ordered 9100 of them at 8.75 each

Attachments

• 1988-55th-anniv.jpg
    1988-55th-anniv.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 31
......mmmmm the pumpkin snack bars look simply scrumptous Michael!
I wonder if the 55th Anniversary was followed by the 60th and so ad infinitum until 2003 would have to be the last genuine Schrade prior to closure.
Anyone seen any after 1988? As we speak there may even be a 2008 on the drawing board in stainwuss steel.. ahso.. Milacle Whip...it bloody rubbery too........Whoo Wroo....

Oh yes. It is one of the most popular salad dressings. I think of it as fake mayonaise and detest it, but a lot of folks like it better.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/MiracleWhip/

I like the old Miracle Whip on a peanut butter sandwich with lettuce and bananas. Or on a peanut butter sandwich with avocados, lettuce, and bacon. Don't barf until you try it. :thumbup:

It is sweeter than mayo, and I prefer mayo on tuna salad or pretty much any sandwich with cold cuts.

Reviving this old thread to tell you I just received my 9th Miracle Whip Anniversary knife in today's mail.

I have:
1937 -- 4th Anniversary
1948 -- 15th Anniversary
1958 -- 25th Anniversary
1963 -- 30th Anniversary
1968 -- 35th Anniversary
1973 -- 40th Anniversary
1978 MW & Kraft -- 45th & 75th Anniversary
1983 -- 50th Anniversary
1988 -- 55th Anniversary

Haven't seen any outside the ones I have. It makes me wonder if they even brought one out in 1943 because of the war. I'll just have to keep on looking.

Yeah Jerry, pics? We need to get your post count up, LOL!

Glenn -- It may come as a big surprise to you but I don't pay any attention to post counts.:p

I need to take a new picture but for now, a quick stitch job will do the trick. At some point in time, I'm going
to replace the '88. The handles on it had seperated and it shows the repair. Shouldn't be a big thing, the '88s
seem to come up more often than any others. I've been too busy buying Camillus '72s.

Schrade-Miracle-Whip-Group-'37-'88s.JPG

Last edited:
The 4th Anniversary 1937 issue is a Schrade Cut Co model 7709GSIL Shackle (I Think?)

-- Howie

You are probably correct, I couldn't say. All it has on the pile side of the tang is 'SS'. I collect them because of the Miracle Whip connection. Thanks for that piece of information.

Edit: One of the interesting things about these knives is dating the tang stamps used over the years. It's easy to get within a few years one way or the other when you see that tang stamp someplace else.

Last edited:
I own 1 the 30th anniversary one. It was well used by the previous owner. Also Miracle Whip is far superior to mayonnaise. LOL

I did get a deal on a 1988 replacement (no plastic sleeve) a few months ago so I sent the one that was less than perfect to the son of a friend. Sorry no pictures since my little web site went kaflooie.

Back