so let's see what you've done to your PBF handles

I'm interested in seeing what people are coming up with for their handles of the naked PBF blades. Here's mine right now, just a quick Strider wrap. It feels good in the hand, but it's not fancy.
attachment.php

Looks like you have just beaten me to posting this thread Hunter. Great minds think a like!

Here's one... I'm waiting on doing the other 3 they will be truly different.:eek: :D

attachment.php

looking good PG and Raden.
Jay, did you do an underwrap on that? If you did (it looks like PG did on his 8") do you guys like the extra bulk? How much does it round the handle? I skipped the underwrap 'cause the INFI is already protected by the crinkle coating and I didn't want the handle to round-off on me too much, I like the indexing and leverage provided by a more rectangular shape. But, I also like a handle that fills the hand.

excellent work guys! Did you just copy from the Strider site?

I'm waiting for my paracord from TAD gear to do mine.....

Nice job guys! Is anyone thinking about having Micarta
done for any of theirs?

i bought some micarta blanks and i will do one as soon as it gets here. might be interesting :eek:

Thanks for the kind words. I am really indifferent to the wrap I did. It is not round really. The point at which the cord changes directions almost makes the handles diamond shaped. It does give pretty good purchase. My plan is to, someday when my skills progress far enough, slap some linen micarta on them with some mosaic pins. I am shooting high, I'll probably goof them up a few times before I get them right. Maybe I'll strip the crinkle coat off of them and see if Stinky will bead blaster them for me (Hint :D). I just finished my second Killer B. I did a OD under wrap and a black cord over wrap. A note on the over wrap. I strip the guts out of the cord so that it lays flatter than it would normally.

utmts4me,

While I'm still waiting to receive my PBF I do plan to wrap it once it gets here. I'll post pics once I do. As to the issue of underwrapping, extra bulk, and rounding the handle, when you do a "Strider" type wrap, the piece of paracord you use for the underwrap is "gutted". You remove the 7 inner strands and just use the outer sheath of the paracord. This will reduce the bulk and rounding. It will give you a good surface to then use the full paracord for the outer diamond wrap.

To all the rest of you the shots so far look great and I can't wait until mine gets here.

Originally posted by Progunner
Maybe I'll strip the crinkle coat off of them

i'm going to strip mine and surface grind the flats, then glass bead them. i will use smooth canvas micarta because it feels better in my hands. should be nice if i take my time.

Progunner,

We were each drafting our posts at the same time. My post was not related to your post and I was not trying to say you did anything backwards. Both options would work and both would limit the rounding and bulk. I was posting how the Strider style wrap is done. BFD, this ain't a Strider and even if it was, once you buy a knife you can do anything you want with it. The key is to get a result that you like, that gives both a comfortable and secure grip. I might try it both ways to see how they feel and I'll keep the one that feels best.

The "gutless" outerwrap with full cord underwrap would, I think, give the handle less of a "Diamond Shape" feel while the "gutless" underwrap with the full cord outerwrap would add more width at the crossover making the handle feel more "Diamond Shape" like.

Skunk,

Are you planing to go kind of "two-tone"? Flats kind of double-cut and bevels straight beadblasted? That could look kind of cool.:cool: Wish I had a blaster. :D

utmts4me,
To be techinal mine is 4 layers, I wraped the slot's with 3 strands each, then a gutted wrap, and lastly a strider style wrap. Wait till you see what I have in the works for the complete set:eek: I can hardly wait:cool:

WTFOver,

I took no offense friend. I did mine from memory after reading the Strider instructions last year sometime. I am surprised I pulled it off without having to go back and check the instructions. :D I bett the gutted inner with full upper would be more diamond shape. I may have to unwrap the six inch model and try that for a comparison.

...still working on mine... trying to put on some wood handles and learning as I go... I had put handles on before to other cheap blades, but never onto a blade that I wanted to leave the finish unscathed...

I am halfway there, and will post pics when done... the idea is to have some slightly thin wooden scales on the handle, then have the ability to use the knife with just the thin scales or put on a cord wrap over the scales for better gripping power.

Back