So this happened….

I was going to suggest to use them as butt pieces, putting micarta in front, and laminated to a spacer along its entire length.

I was going to ask this too, it looked broke all over....

Maybe just a freak accident?

I've never beat on stabilized wood before.
I do hit with a hammer all my various micarta's.
Not a fan of paper micarta, now, any more.
I'll try and save ya some time but it ain't bullet proof neither!

YsvKQKv.jpg

There might have been a crack forming across whatever wood that block was cut from before it was even stabilized. Dropping it just finished the process. I don't think stabilizing mixtures act like glues or adhesives. If there's a crack or weakness in a block it'll still be there after stabilization. Maybe a little stronger but still there.

Eric

I bought some really nice stabilized spalted maple from a reputable & popular vendor. While unpacking it I dropped a block and this happened:

View attachment 2517484

View attachment 2517486

I was really surprised to see this from a stabilized block. Should I be? What would you do if this was yours?
It broke because it was cross cut and in the weakest orientation. I pass on any woods cut in this orientation no matter how good they look as it will not hold up well in use. Some materials hold up being cut in that orientation like professional micarta for example but not wood or some homemade micarta. I’ve taken similar sized pieces of wood or homemade laminate and snapped them by hand with very little effort to show how they aren’t structurally sound. If you do use the material glue it to some thick liners to help strengthen the material.

Back