So you've dropped your knife, what do you do first?

You have dropped your knife, now what?

• Re-pocket it without looking

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • Visually inspect it, opening it a couple times before pocketing

Votes: 58 50.4%
  • Give it a thorough look over, checking action, edge and handles for damages, opening it multiple x

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Sell it, possibly at a loss, because you never know the extent of the damage, and buy something else

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
If the blade is bared I've gotten into the habit of giving up after 3 touches, if I don't snag it. If it's folded, I can also use my feet to prevent it hitting a hard surface or at least arresting the fall, unless it's a tank knife and I'm wearing socks. I've noticed that people start to get excitable in the kitchen when you're out of control juggling or playing hacky sack with a knife in front of them...

If it lands on a hard surface, I'll try to bluff the would be mugger standing patiently in front of me that I meant to drop my knife to show them that I don't need it.

I don't drop knives, I got Wargrip on mine.

When I fat finger a knife and drop it, it makes me disheartened everytime. I immediately think my new looking knife is now blemishes and it always makes me sad. I mumble dammit as I bend down to pick it up. The last thing I dropped was a knife with an aluminum grip which had a corner what obliterated. Probably a 1/16" dent in that corner.

I might honestly reprofile the corner and Cerakote the whole thing.

I was going to say that I also get my feet out of the way. What was that song verse on Hee Haw....? Oh, yes:

If it weren't for bad luck
I'd have no luck at all.

Fits me to a tee.
You sir, have great taste!!
"Born Under A Bad Sign" by William Bell & Booker T Jones.

"Born under a bad sign,
been down since I began to crawl.
If it wasn't for bad luck,
I wouldn't have no luck at all"

Albert King (of The 3 Kings - Albert, Freddie, & BB) first introduced me to the song at a young age when I *thought* I knew what the Blues were. Seven plus decades down the road I have a slightly different, somewhat expanded, and more nuanced understanding of that inherent component of the human condition we all get to occasionally experience. To repeat a quote I read years ago from Willie Dixon, "As long as there's one man and one woman alive on this earth, somebody is gonna have the Blues."

To answer OP's survey, I'm in the "A falling knife has no handle" camp. Let that s*cker go. It's on a solo flight and none of my body parts are going with it. A knife is cheaper & easier to repair than hands or feet. Then I'll cuss a bit, inspect a bit, and proceed with my day wearing chagrin well implanted in my memory.

Last edited:
Let it fall.....

I know that sounds hard to do, but you have a micro second to think about it, and you NEVER catch a falling knife.

So the very First thing to do is let it fall to the ground while moving out of the way as safe as possible.

Not the most fun answer... but the right one. :thumbsup:

I carry cheap knives that are tough, so I guess out of the poll choices my vote is the first option: Re-pocket it without looking

Because I have dropped my Resiliences a few times, and there's never any damage.

Not the most fun answer... but the right one. :thumbsup:

I carry cheap knives that are tough, so I guess out of the poll choices my vote is the first option: Re-pocket it without looking

Because I have dropped my Resiliences a few times, and there's never any damage.
Sounds like those are pretty....Resilient. 😎 lol

Also, I am surprised that you carry a cheap Chinese knife instead of one of your customs that you make! Wouldnt it be good advertising to carry one of yours instead of a Resilient? It would be a better knife for sure too.

I don't make folders, I make fixed blades. And I carry two I made.

There are some circumstances where I would want to catch a falling knife actually. Pets or children walking around. Rather take a cut to the hand then let them get cut.

Despite my years of experience, apparently "CATCH IT" is built into my DNA.

esbcCES.jpg

I didn’t see “THROW IT AWAY” as an option. I offer that as a valid response and have been known to utilize it in the past.

Yes. Because if you have to try and catch a knife, it should definitely be that one. ;)
My right foot caught an esee 4, well more like kicked it. OK I kicked the tip.. but I had to protect it!
worst thing is it was an instant reaction, not a premeditated decision. Which (could) mean it can happen again.
I hope not😬
I'll always have nerve damage and slight tingling in that area because of it

Back